Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question on front grills?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by xplosuv, Mar 24, 2002.

1. xplosuv

xplosuv 1/2 ton status

What years did the blazers come with a single sealed beam head lights? I think it was 71 to 86? and has anyone changed them to the H-4 conversion?

2. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

IF its the round ones I think the years where 67-80 I think if wrong then sorry..

3. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

My 86 as 4 headlights, So it wasn't 86..And ken's 83 as four headlights I think.. So it was before then...Dan

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The last year for the round singles was 79...80 was single square sealed beams. 81 was the first year for the 4 light front ends.

Rene

5. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

81 was the first year for 4 headlights depending on what trim package you got. I have an 84 with a single squarish headlight because it is the custom delux package i like to call them the "work-truck package" totally stripped of any options

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I've recently done the Halogen Conversion on mine using the Bosch kit. It was the best money I spent on my truck in a long time.....

7. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I have an 89 with single headlights - stock, but of course it is the scottsdale.

8. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

By H-4 conversion do you mean all four come on high??? All mine do come on.. It was the 89 to 91 With the side by side lights that all 4 didn't come on high.. The 2 inside were the high beams and the outside 2 were the low beamss...Dan

9. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I have found the following headlight combos to be pretty consistent. I'm sure there are some other combos I've missed, especially in the later 80's...

69 - 72 CHEVY = single round headlights

69 - 72 GMC = dual round headlights

73 - 79 = single round headlights only

80 = single round headlights OR single rectangular w/ chrome grille option

81 - 82 = single rectangular headlights

83 - 87 = single rectangular headlights standard OR "quad" (4) headlight optional

Hope this helps.

10. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

in reply to:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

69 - 72 GMC = dual round headlights

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    They had dual round lights ??? I thought they were single round.just asking.. And if wrong then I learned something new -later mike

11. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

i just ordered the 90/130 H4 lights from eagle one, in the jc whitney catalog ( good bathroom reading material).....

i'll let you know how they work. the brightnesses i bought are illegal, if they are indeed overwhelmingly bright, i'll make the old brights down low work as low beams so as not to roast the retinas of oncoming traffic.

what is the usual high/low wattage, 55/50? i had to get the most powerful wattages they offered. is that some sort of insight to me being pathetic or something? who cares, i'll be able to see at night real good!!

greg

12. René

René 1/2 ton status

I exchanged my main headlights in projection lights. These are manufactured by Hella (bosch daughter) and are normally built in buses.

13. fender

fender Registered Member

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

They had dual round lights ??? I thought they were single round.just asking.. And if wrong then I learned something new -later mike

<hr></blockquote>

GMC = dual http://67-72chevytrucks.com/p21_1.jpg

14. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Do you hear me saying a big DUH (homer sounding) but hey I learned something new-Thanks mike

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

80 = single round headlights OR single rectangular w/ chrome grille option

<hr></blockquote>I've never seen an 80 with round lights...ever.

81 - 82 = single rectangular headlights

<hr></blockquote>My 81 came with the 4 rectangular lights factory. It was a fully optioned truck.

Rene

16. 4x4machine

4x4machine Registered Member

Your exactly right in your write up, also 88-91 had single lights and dual side by side light depending on packages

17. 4x4machine

4x4machine Registered Member

Your exactly right in your write up, also 88-91 had single lights and dual side by side light depending on packages.

18. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Yeah, the NON chrome grille '80 model trucks (like mine) would have come with the round set up like a '79. Only the trucks with the chrome grille option had the rectanguler lights.

Like I said, mine originally had round lights (pick on my web site, page 2 next to my skinny a$$ 15 years ago!) but the first time I saw the rectangular ones I HAD TO HAVE THEM!! I never could bring myself to buy the chrome grille though, almost $400 from Chevy - OUCH!

19. xplosuv

xplosuv 1/2 ton status

I put those Cool Blue sealed beams from Auto Zone on my 76, They suck. I sell those Bright xenon bulb conversions to all the ricers up here in Sac. Then I found that one of my suppliers carries the replacement conversion to a h-4 bulb. Very easy conversion,6 butt connectors and a 6.00 wiring harness at your local parts store. I put one on a customers blazer. What a hugh difference it makes. If you realy want to get outrageous switch to a real H I D haed light system, it draws 35 watts(your stock bulbs are 55) and are 300% brighter. Now there kind of expensive, but you would need no other lights for the trails.