Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question on high performance parts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dukhuntr5, Aug 22, 2006.

1. dukhuntr5

dukhuntr5 Registered Member

hey guys whats going on. Im new to the forums and Ive got some questions for the experts. Have any of you ever used an MSD ignition box? Did it work like it was supposed too and have a long service life? What about a good set of headers for a k5 with small block? My 86 model has a goodwrench 350 with a small cam,intake and performer carb. Im disapponted with the carburetor, it stalls under heavy breaking. Any suggestions on a different model or brand. Ive had several 4wheel drives, but this is my first blazer and I really like it. look forward to hearing from you guys.

2. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the forums.
    1. I've never run an MSD box, but never seen any complaints about them.
    2. Headers for a Chevelle seem to work good on the K5's. Not sure what year of Chevelle, maybe someone else will chime in.
    3. Q-jet or Holley are both good carbs.

edit: Click here for #1

3. bandit4369

bandit4369 Registered Member

You can't go wrong with MSD, I put fire to my built 396 BBC( truck in my avatar) with MSD 's off road box,rev limiter, blaster coil,distributor, and wires. I haven't had it on the dyno since installing the system, but I can actually feel the difference in the engine with it. The off road system has waterproof connections and is potted to help it survive off road use. The rev limiter is cheap insurance against a blown $$$$ engine if you hit a slick spot or break something in the drive line . If your going to weld on your truck after installation of it disconnect all the wiring to the box though. Installation instructions are complete and easy to understand, and tech support is good. I run Doug Thorley tri-Y headers and don't have any problem with clearance on anything.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2006
  4. caseyk

caseyk Registered Member

MSD products work great... but IMO they are a waste of $$$ on a truck engine.

The multiple spark under 3K RPM helps on high compression engines but doesn't make much of a difference on normal to low compression ones. Also, unless you are hitting 5K RPM pretty often, they won't do you much good.

And what happens when you're 4x4ing and your MSD box fails :eek1:. A plain old HEI distributor works perfect under 5K RPM. Sure, there may be SOME performance gains with the MSD box... but enough to justify the cost?... up to you. Just keep a spare HEI chip and coil in the cab and you're good.

I've never used an edelbrock carb, but I'm sure they work just fine if you tune them properly. Some people are holley guys, some edelbrock, etc. I'm pretty familiar with holleys and some Q-jets. Personally, I think Q-Jets would be best in a truck (or any high quality spread-bore carb for that matter).

IMO, if you really want improvements spend your money on some new heads, headers, or exhaust. Or even better, get a high perf HEI chip and coil and save your old ones for spares.

5. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

As far as the aftermarket spark boxes go, I think on your motor the money would be well spent on the MSD kit for your HEI. I think on a more performance built motor it would make more difference. As far as headers go you get what you pay for. Doug Thorly are nice headers. Don't forget the rest of the exhaust too. Put high flow cats in and a good muffler, for duals on your motor 2.25 would be fine (remember the xover or H pipe) single would be nice with a 3" exhaust. As far as carbs go I like the stock quadrajet if you like to tinker with things get the book on rochester carbs and build one up for yourself if not look around and buy one from a reputable dealer. One that will back his product up if it does not preform up to spec. Since it is a blazer I would also say a truck avenger but be aware that they need tuning. I know a guy with one, took a while to tune but runs awesome now.

And welcome to CK 5 the collective knowledge around here is unreal

6. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Welcome, you will find many different opinions here, which can be confusing at times.

Some will tell you that you don't " need" a certain part. Maybe. To this I say we don't "need" any of this stuff. We don't need more power or lifts or lockers or big tires. We could all drive electric cars and leave the trails to the Sierra Club.

Now to your questions. Sounds like your float may not be adjusted correctly on the carb. Fuel level may be too high and that would cause it to slosh out and stall.

There are better carbs available, the Q-jet is tops for off road and then the Holley Truck Avenger. But, if your gonna be doing real off-roading & crawling at extream angles or fast whoop - de- doos your going to want EFI any way so I would not be spending any real money on a better carb. Just set your Edel to get you by.

MSD. I have run MSD boxes, coils and distributers on every thing I build since 1998 and I swear by there stuff. Do you need it? Of course not, see first paragraph.

A MSD box will give a faster start up, a smoother idle ( especially cold ) and a little better low rpm driveability. This is more noticable on a modified engine. The GM HEI is an excellent item, and with a good condition engine with a proper tune up it's all you need.

I have had one " failure" with a 6AL box and it happened driving it off the hoist at an exhaust shop... gee, ya think they maybe forgot to disconect the battery before welding on the rig? Punks. Good news? I sent it to MSD and they fixed it for a total of $38 including shipping.

Bottom line, these forums have everything you want to know, what you do with your rig is up to you. The most important thing is knowing how you want to use your rig. Off road is a very vague term.