Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question on how to install a new lock for my tailgate?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Tuskadero, Jul 17, 2000.

1. Tuskadero

Tuskadero Registered Member

hello, I was wondering if anyone has replaced there lock on there tailgate before? And if so how did you get the old lock out? Mine is for a power rear window. I already took the panel off on the inside of the tailgate and found out this isnt how it is done. Can anyone explain what I need to do to replace this part thanks, Tuskadero

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

3. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

The panel does need to come off. Also the glass needs to be disconnected from the regulator by 4 bolts. Pull the window until it stops and rest it on something soft and level with the gate. Then move the regulator aside by removing the bolts, roughly around 6 or less. Then there will be 2 nuts that hold the chrome plate and lock in place. Then the rest is self explanatory. It isn't hard at all. Just dirty. Have fun.

4. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just did mine this past weekend. It's not that hard. Open the tailgate, close the latches on each side and power the window out, I used stool and some books(best use for the Haynes book so far). Follow the steps above. While your in there lube all the tracks on the regulator and the gears too. Make sure you put the glass back down when your done and pull on the handle to pop the latches before you slam it shut.

Rob 85K5

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>