Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question on installing a lift kit

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rawhead, Dec 6, 2002.

1. rawhead

rawhead Registered Member

I just bought a 1979 K5 Blazer and I would like to install a lift kit. I was curious if a small lift (2-4") would be something I could install myself. Should this be done at a shop? I own my own tools, 2 1/2 ton floor jack and jack stands... any special tools required?

Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

they are very easy to do and can be done in one day /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif make sure you get new u-bolts /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    any special tools required?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes! Lots of beer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

2.5" is a definite, 4" has a lot more work (brake lines, steering arm), but can be done...you better buy some TALL jack stands!

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

How large of tires do you want to run ???? For 35's I'd recomened 6" lift, but alot of people are running them on 4" lift with some fender trimming. Keep in mind, if you're putting in the lift kit so you can run larger tires (Isn't the the point of a lift anyways) you do realize that the larger tires require lower gears, and better breaks. Easiest way to solve that is with a 3/4 Ton axle swap. Sence you've got everything apart doinng the lift, it's the perfect time to put in the 3/4 Ton axles (Strait bolt in, very easy, and fairly inexpencive to do). I really wish I would have put 3/4 Ton axles in at the same time I did my 6" Suspension lift.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

By the way, Rawhead Rex is one of my fav. horror movies, but the book was better.

7. BlaznRebel

BlaznRebel 1/2 ton status

<font color="red"> I just did a 6" at my house last weekend and let me tell ya it was a pain. For one all i had was a bottlejack and some pieces of firewood hehe. Take your time and do it right. It might help if ya take the wheels off. This will mean that you have to pick the body up less to get the spring pack back in. Remember they will have more of an arch than you old ones. Also for christs sake don't put the spring on backwards(don't ask)the small hole on the spring goes to the rear and the large hole is on the front. You might whnt to check just to make sure though.Any more questions just holler. </font color>

8. rawhead

rawhead Registered Member

Thanks for all the usefull tips, I intend on doing some mild - average off road. It will be a daily driver as well. I'm looking to lift the Blazer to help give a little extra ground clearance and to correct the inverted front springs. Currently trying to decide on 33's or 35's /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. I talked to someone who has a full size Blazer lifted 2.5" with 33x12.5x15 Goodyear MTR's on 15x8 stock offset rims and he said he has had no rubbing issues. Not that I don't believe him... but can anyone confirm this? It sounds like an ideal setup for what I'm looking to do. (I know... here we go with the damn tire size question again /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif)

Can you believe the guys at 4wheelparts want almost $400 to install a straight axle lift /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Thanks again!

9. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I've got a 2.5 with 35's on 15x10's I don't know the offset and a 1" body with no rubbing on the fenders yes the fronts are cut. So if you go with a 2.5 and 33's you should be fine. But every ride seems to be differnt.

Eric

10. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

If you do the lift your self.( It's not hard to do) Make sure the stands are tall you'll need to put them under th frame. The ones I use with my 2.5 ad 35's is a set that stand 23" tall. If you have air tools that will help with the old u-bolts if not get a big breaker bar they can be a bitch at times the othe bitch is the spring bushings the old rubber ones stick quiet well, I've even had to burn them out. And while you have that all apart you mite as well change all the spring bushings. I don't see any reason to use the old ones when your going to add a lift for a taller ride and a better ride.

Eric