Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question on installing lift kit?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, May 13, 2002.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hi im 16..and i soon wantot get a lift kit for my 84 k-5. i want a 4in. i was wondering what kits offers shocks with the kit, and the best quality/price combind? and also how hard are they usually to install in general? my dad is a mechanic so i mean i would have help on it and all..i was just wondering..

thanx!-Bryan

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Were you looking for blocks,springs,or a ORD shackle flip for the rear? What kind of wheeling are you gonna do?

3. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

I used the blocks on a 4" lift. Took us about 5.5 hrs to complete it on a Saturday. I had 2 guys helpin me. Rough Country seemed to have the best package at the time I got mine, it included shocks.

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

probobly mostly lots of mud! lol..lots of offroading..not really any rockcrawiling or anything like that...but i like driving through mud and that type of stuff...would probobly get into some pretty deep stuff ahha. i was wodnering why blocks were not as good..and how hard shackle flips are to put on? i would probobly prefer springs from what i hear...? i would like to find something slightly used or buy from a person over a store due to cost..this is gonig o be a budget rig to untill i get better funds! lol..so

Bryan-thanx

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

wel i dont know..i think blocks are the way to go for me. they are not the greatest but they do, do it! ....and im on a budget so i think that would work out well..and yes i also want a kit that INCLUDES new shocks!! i dont want to go have to get them extra...also i was wodnering if U.S wheels were ok? i really want the american racing ar-39s but the u.s wheels look good too, and LOT cheaper..i was wondering if they were a decent wheel though?

Bryan-thanx!

6. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

7. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

if your on a budget why are you buying new wheels? just my opinion but i would put my money into the lift and ride quality before i bought "eye candy" wheels. i got an all spring kit from rought country, it made a huge difference in the ride quality. my stock ralleys look fine to me. just some food for thought.

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

wow thats a good deal for the 73-87 chevy 1/2 ton..only 300 bucks..ive seen used and new kits from regular people selling them for 2-300!! ..(of course there is still shipping but still!!)..yea i think that would be the way to go for me..the 1/2 ton kit with blocks..that i would be happy with and that includes the shocks as well..well as soon as i get the 305 and tranny from the other blazer and into this one and get it running...i might just look into this...

Bryan-later

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

oh yea..well no i dont mean im going to get them right away. lol actually i just want to matching stock rallys for mine..i have the two stock ones on the fornt..but then there are to silver painted wagon wheels in the back..and im thinknig i might go for the block kit..can always upgrade sometime down the line..

Bryan

10. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Why don't you put the rallye wheels on one side and the wagon wheels on the other side. That way when someone pulls up next to you, they will never know that all 4 aren't the same!

11. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I second that...put two rally's on one side and two chrome show rims on the other....Next you can buy one tire at a time since you are ona a budget and slowly put all four tires that you want on there...sure you can't use 4wd right away but you can't use it anyway right now since your truck isn't capable of making it through mud. Last...just hack the fenders and stuff whatever you want under your truck...why buy a lift? You have a parts truck sitting in your drive...keep the fenders for when you can afford a lift and paint job.......

Its all for sh*ts and giggles anyway!

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

now theres an idea! lol..might just do that lol..but i still would like to pick up 2 rallys i think i could find them for cheap considerring they are pretty cheap.

Bryan-later

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well its not much of a parts truck for body parts! the body is [censored]. thats why i bought my 84..cuase the whole thing was in much better condtion...even though it still needs some work. (i bought the whole thing minus the engine and tranny that im getting form my 85..for 75 bucks so!!) lol actualyl im proboboyl getting the new tires first...then the rims when i can afford them..then the lift kit...beucase that would be the cheapeest of them all.

Bryan-later

14. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

On a budget, I would definitely recommend Rough Country's 4" lift with rear blocks. This kit comes with EVRYTHING you should need. IF your current rear springs are sagging, you might want to consider new rear springs by getting that kit versus the blocks.

15. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea me to..think thats the way to go!

Bryan

16. Erich_in_AZ

Erich_in_AZ 1/2 ton status

My burb has the Rough Country kit. They had great customer service, and everything shipped fast. The only thing I had a problem with were the brake lines. The "relocators" didn't work worth a damn , so I bought the extended brake lines. I don't run a sway bar, so I might get a bit more flex, but the lines were tight!

Good luck!

17. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

I ran into the same issue with my RC lift too. Also got the extended lines. I would definitely recommend the RC lift for anyone needing a complete kit on a budget. I run w/out a sway bar but I really dont miss it.

18. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

how much were the extended brake lines, and where did you buy them? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif