Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question on IP

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by stoneagemaxx, Aug 10, 2006.

1. stoneagemaxx

stoneagemaxx Registered Member

Well i pulled the IP on my '84 burb today to swap it with another that was given to me because of the burban not running right, when i got the old pump out correctly (thanks to a couple of threads on here) i realized that the other injection pump that i have wasent removed correctly, what i need to know is if the shaft comming out the front of the pump (w/ the dowel pin on it) is supposed to be removable?, it looks as if when they removed the other IP they removed the three nuts holding it on and then pryed the pump off of the shaft, nothing looks damaged on the pump but i do not know for sure, is it possible to remove the shaft out of my original pump and reinstall it into the other one? i also may have the original shaft as i have the complete motor in peices i'm going to locate the front cover and see it its still in it or not tommarrow, thanks for any help

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

The shaft is removable, I did that by accident once when I first started working on these... had to bring the shaft back to the rebuilder to get my core back. I just don't know the procedure for putting it back in though :doah:

3. stoneagemaxx

stoneagemaxx Registered Member

thats what i figured i would have to get it rebuilt, i think i located another pump hopefully it is good

4. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Not nessesarily "rebuilt" but might need somebody with the proper install tool:confused: It's a good idea to have a tech check out the pump anyway. I'd at least check a price.

5. mudman83

mudman83 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I pulled mine out before on accident. I just replace the seals on it and lubed them up with oil real well and it slid right back in. I made sure it went in the same direction it came out. However, I also did it once and didn't know what I was doing and when i put it back in one of the seals slipped back and when I started it fuel came spraying out like a hose. It was crazy.