Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question on local trails closing

Discussion in 'Land Use' started by MudFrog, Jul 5, 2004.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

There is a trail that I love going to here in Va. It is part of the Jefferson National Forrest. I have not been out to verify this but appearently it has been "closed" and they have chains blocking the path. The rumor came from a local clubs treasurer.

Anyway, the treasurer claims that his club has the only key that was released to the public. I know this club is in good standings with the Park Rangers as I have attended some meetings and listened to the Park Rangers speak at these meetings. The club does trail clean ups etc, which I give them props for that. However it is a Jeep only club.

Now is it legal for a public trail to be closed off and a single key given to one club? It seems like if it was open it would have to be open to everyone. I have not verified that it is actually closed as it is about an hour and fifteen minute drive. I did however email the local Park Ranger supervisor division for input. I'm waiting to hear back from them and I wanted to post up here to see if I can get any advice or laws or anything that might help us (the public) out if this is indeed the case.

2. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Nevermind, the Ranger contacted me and explained that it was closed for a very short time and they had the key to get in and clean it while it was closed, but it's open again /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Good for them cleaning up the trail /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Glad its open . If everyone keeps up on it , looks good for the wheeling community . /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Yea, I've been to a couple of their meetings and they are great when it comes to the environment, they are bad when it comes to letting vehicles other then jeeps in.

5. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Is that Potts?