Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question On Locking Hubs?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by IH82LUZ2FORDS, Oct 18, 2000.

1. IH82LUZ2FORDS

IH82LUZ2FORDS Registered Member

here's the Q? Well I live in North Dakota where it is just about winter all the time and well, I have had my hubs in the lock position since last winter, probably like (november 1999) well i haven't put them in the unlock position since then, i just think it was a hastle to get in and out of my k5 to lock and unlock the hubs for 4wheel drive, I was just wondering if that was bad for my 88k5? I could really care less about the gas milleage, does anyone know what the difference is between locked and unlocked? Can anyone help me out?

Rob 88k5

2. Eric

Eric Registered Member

Iv'e got the same question...

One eyed super fly- watch out!
    86 K5 Blazer

3. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

When unlocked, the front axles and driveshaft don't turn, so it puts a little less wear on the U-joints, especially the ones at the steering knuckle. On the other hand, it's a good idea to lock them in occasionally anyway, just to make things turn and spread a little lubricant around.

4. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Tom stated the difference between locked and unlocked. Does it "hurt," anything? No. I used to live in Colorado and when it was winter, I just locked the hubs and didn't worry about it.

5. IH82LUZ2FORDS

IH82LUZ2FORDS Registered Member

Sweet!!! Thanks for the info guys!!!

Rob

88k5