Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question on lower gears

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FOR MUD, Apr 8, 2007.

1. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've hear the lower the gear the weaker the gear. Which gets weaker, the ring or the pinion? The reason I'm asking is, I'm thinking of running lower gears. Right now I have 4.88 with 39-8 tooth count, if I go with a 5.86 gear the tooth count would be 47-8. How much weaker would that make it?

2. 01maroonz71

01maroonz71 1/2 ton status

the ring gear is always the same "size". but the teeth, as you said increase, which makes it weaker...the pinion will also become weaker because it gets smaller each time you go up in numerical gear ratios...it does all depend on that axles your talking about though, sometimes the pinion remains the same size.

***EDIT**** just saw you have 60/70 combo...you should be ok, but im not sure if that ratio is available for a 60. i could be wrong though. oh yeah, do you have any pics of your rig man???

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

x2 The pinion is what gets weaker... although it sounds like the pinion in the setup you are llooking at is the same size...

4. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner