Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question on polly motor mounts

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by UNCLE CRACKER, Dec 10, 2003.

1. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

I am getting ready to drop in a new motor in my truck. the motor is a 383 around 425hp and 425tq. my question is do you think it is better to run the polly mounts VS. the rubber? I have heard of people breaking tranny housings and I was wondering if the polly bushing help this problem? also do they make a big difference in the vibration you feel through the motor?
    thanks

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

You definitely feel more vibration, that's just the nature of the beast, it's hard to have a stiffer mount without it being, well, stiffer.

As for breakage, I'm a big fan of having the motor mounts at least as stiff as if not stiffer than the transfer case mounts so putting the HD poly mounts in would be a solid upgrade, at least in my opinion. This way the motor's not trying to torque against the t-case mounts. I'm also the guy that sells the stuff, but the reasons are sound so you know I'm not blowing smoke up your kiester.

Hope this helps /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. UNCLE CRACKER

so in your opinion you think this helps against tranny case breakage

4. Stephen

Yup. The idea is the motor can't move as much so it can't twist against the t-case mounts and break the trans housing.

5. UNCLE CRACKER

I guess you will be getting a call from me so i can order those mounts.

6. Alaska Offroad

Alaska Offroad Registered Member

Upgrading to ORD Poly bushings on my engine mounts is one of the best mods I have ever done, and I have done LOTS of "extreme" mods. IMHO the increase in vibes is barely noticable, and the benefits of engine controll is more than worth it.

7. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Not to hijack a thread, but....
    Stephen, I sent you a PM a while ago regarding raised motor mounts. No answer so I figured I'd ask you here: Do you make your poly motor mounts in a raised version? I need 1/2-1'' to get the motor to clear my crossmember and to keep the mechanical fan off the front crossmember since I raised the t-case a bit. Also, what would pricing be on such an item?

8. Stephen

We don't have a raised version but I was able to build some spacers for my crewcab that worked pretty good. They raised the motor about 1/2". They're cut out of 3/4" plate. My turbo exhaust manifold was hitting the frame so I picked it up a little.
    I don't know if we're going to build anything to raise the motors, the spacer plate is the leading candidate right now.

9. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Just to be sure, does your motor mount kit come with both the frame and block brackets (I see the block bracket in your picture).

Thanks!

10. Stephen

Yup, the comp style mounts come with both sides. Our HD daystar mounts are just the frame side and are a little cheaper.