Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question on push rods

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 84CUCV, Sep 28, 2005.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Doing the topend of a friends 6.2. picked the box up and the bottom went so we have no ides how they went. he said there is a harder side for the rocker arms. Is he right? Never heard of this. if it matter is a m1009 with 28k on it.

thx again mike

2. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Yes, one end of the pushrod has been hardened, and it's supposed to go up top where the rocker arm rides against it. GM painted the rocker arm ends from the factory, so if there are any paint marks on the rods, the painted ends go up.

If the paint is gone (most likely), just clean them up really well, and you can tell which end is different. The harder end looks like a different metal has been attached to the end of the rod, it will be darker. The regular end is the same color as the rest of the rod.

I'm not sure how critical it really is to get the right end up...when I overhauled my engine the first time 9 years and 120K miles ago, I didn't know this. I slapped the rods in whichever way I felt like. No problems. However, this last time, I installed them correctly for peace of mind.

Casey

3. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

If they are after market rods the copper color end is the hardened end.

4. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

thanks guys will have it done shortly.