Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question on rear leaf springs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eeyore, Apr 9, 2006.

1. eeyore

eeyore Registered Member

i recently purchased a blazer that has had the individual springs in the pack all seperated.it has ord zero rates and some type of spacers,the same length as the zero rates,and same thickness of each spring.im guessing for less friction,more travel?its only on the rear springs.is this a good idea?safe?thanks for any advice

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

wait, spacers between each leaf or at the bottom where the zero rate is? If they are between the leaves, get rid of them. If they are under the spring pack they were probably a previous owners way of curing "saggy butt".

A pic would be worth a thousand words on this post btw... ;) :thumb:

j

3. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

where are you in utah? I gotta see those...they sound pretty unsafe.

4. eeyore

eeyore Registered Member

im in grantsville.the blazer came from orem.i guess i need to pony up some money and become a member to post pictures.the spacers are not by the zero rates.they are seperate in between each leaf.it looks like they are bolted into the spring packs though.i dont haul or tow anything.i may make it out to ejs wed.night till sat, aft.maybe someone could take a look at it there.

5. eeyore

eeyore Registered Member

also i think the zero rates are upside down.the flat side is facing the spring not the axle.is this right?thanks

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If the spring pack has the plastic sliders at the end of each leaf, then there are also thin, galvanzied metal plates between each leaf at the center of the pack. The factory made them that way, to minimize friction between the leaves. :cool1: The leaves only touch at the center and ends.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

he said they were the same thickness as a leaf though... if thats the case, ditch them. I've never pulled a pack apart that had any kind of metal plates between each leaf... is that on newer stuff only or...? I'm not a spring expert or anything, but I have taken apart a half dozen 52s/56s and haven't seen anything between the center of the leaves on any of them...

j