Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question on ring install

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Mar 25, 2002.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

ok guys the dialog continues;

I understand the rings have a top ring, and a bottum ring. evidently these rings for are different; well here's my question. well my rings never specified top or bottum, but these were both in the same box with a cardboard divider. well there were 9 rings in one side, and 7 rings in another side.

how do I tell these rings apart (there is nothing obvious I could detect)? can I just take one of these rings, and put it in the other side, or do I need to get a new box of rings?

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The top ring looks like this:

inside /""""""""""|
    .........|_______|

2nd ring

inside |"""""""""""|
    ..........\_______|

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

All rings are installed as follows,
    Top ring is dot up or inside bevel up
    Second ring is dot up or outside bevel down.

4. solowookie

thanks all the rings have dots, but I didn't notice a bevel of any kind so I will have to look for that. I hurt my back really bad over the weekend /forums/images/icons/mad.gif so I haven't gotten a chance to try to finish installing the rings. I'm hoping to give the rings another shot today.

5. solowookie

I was looking at the outside edge, and when I looked at the inside edge I realized there was a bevel there. I got half the pistons done, and I'll finish the others after lunch.

man there are shavings already coming off the pistons where I've slid the rings in & out. I'm going to have to take the air to each piston before I oil em up for install.