Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question on stock spring rates

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Blazinaire, May 14, 2002.

1. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Anyone know where I might be able to find some numbers for what the stock spring rates are for my 3/4 ton? I'm trying to keep the spring rate as close to possible when I buy 4'' lift springs (for the front, its gettin' a shackle flip out back) If it makes any difference, it is a '78

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Well.. I don't know the spring rate of stock springs,but no matter what 4" lift you get they are gonna be stiff. Since they are arched more that stock springs. I just got some 4" BDS springs for all for corner's. I can't wait to put them on.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Eric,

Not sure that your assessment of 4" springs is 100% accurate.... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

My ORD front springs are only 237 Lbs/in with a 4" lift.....WAAAAY softer than stock. I will agree that MOST aftermarket springs will be stiffer than stock, but if you are willing to pay for a custom design (or semi-custom) you can get whatever you want. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I was just considering after market springs (ie. Rancho,Procomp,Superlift,and Skyjacker) Sorry to make it confusing..

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

now with Rancho they used to make 2 sets. "Get it up" were stiffer than stock. Then they came out with their "easy ride" springs. They were about the same rate as stock but with more arch. For 1st gen rancho never made a easy ride set.

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

In general, the standard aftermarket spring builders have it figured out, they build springs for lifted trucks, not standard height and usually take into account the general public's use and driving habits. What this results in is a spring that's anywhere from a little stiffer to a lot stiffer and the reason is to counter body roll and control increased weight from aftermarket add-ons, etc. You probably don't want a spring with the stock rate if you're concerned about carrying a load, you'll want a spring that's stiffer to give you better control. It will give a harder ride also.
    Our custom springs are built around what the customer wants and it's generally increased wheel travel, soft ride in rough terrain and durability under off road conditions. So we build them softer than most "regular" lift springs and the customer deals with more body roll. This is why more and more people are going to shorter lifts, chopping and armoring the body keeping it all as light as possible. It lets you use soft springs without as many ill handling effects.

Basically like most things there are tradeoffs involved.
    I'm not sure where to send you for exact front spring rates, my best guess is that they would be close to 270-300 lb/in. Most GM's seem to fall in this range regardless of the duty rating since the front doesn't see as much load and is the suspension closest to the driver. A really stiff spring on the front of a truck really beats you up.