Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question on tie rods

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by chuck1, Dec 27, 2002.

1. chuck1

chuck1 Registered Member

Hi everyone, my first post. I have been lurking and reading the older posts till now.
    I was wondering if anyone has replaced the tie rods with heim joints and if so how are they holding up.
    I have thought about making some tie rods with heim joints for my truck at work but don't know how they would hold up to dirt/mud and such. I figured they would be much more precise and elimate some slop in the steering.
    Thanks for any help, Chuck

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

They would be tighter but I decided not to go with them as I run lots of mud and grim. I was worried that I would wear them out fast as they are not sealed up.

3. chuck1

chuck1 Registered Member

That's what I was thinking also. Although I don't see much mud where I go out in the desert I was worried about a short life span since it is my daily driver along with weekend toy.
    I have thought about maybe streaching a section of bicycle innertube over the end to keep the goo out but not sure.
    Thanks Chuck

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

There are a lot of places for slop to accumulate on the IFS front ends. 4 tie rod ends, 4 ball joints, idler arm, and pitman arm. Replace any that are showing slop and you'll be amazed at how much tighter the steering feels. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Heim joints aren't really designed to live in a dirty environment. They'll wear out pretty quickly. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Re: Question on tie rods(PITMAN ARM)

Ok i have everything off the tie rod ends/idler arm/ but the pitman arm has a huge nut on the bottom holding it on the power steering and it is being a pain in the ass i have to go get a big adjustable wrench and then i have a bad cv joint that i have to replace and it has a big nut on it also but i think its a 36mm socket size and then i should be set once i get the alignment done. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: Question on tie rods(PITMAN ARM)

Even after you get that freakin' nut loosened, the pitman arm still won't come off easily. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif You'll need a beefy pitman arm puller. The shaft is tapered so that arm is on there tight!