Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question on Transfer Case Gear Ratios

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BrianDamage, Jan 29, 2007.

1. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

Would something like the Lomax with the 3:1 gear ratio be too low of a ratio for a truck that is going to be mainly a hunting truck (lots o' mud, and on the street between hunts ..... in other words, not a rock crawler)

I already have my 14 bolt and dana 60 (4.56 gears, locker in the back)... next purchase is a TCI TH400.

Just kind of up in the air on a np205. Not sure if I want a "stock" 205 or an aftermarket one. I can't see spending the extra $$$ for a lomax though if the gear ratios are going to be too low for what I want to do with it. There are a couple of guys on ebay selling rebuilt 205's and I thought about going that route.

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

What size tires are you running?

I say run a stock 205 and swap in the lomax 3:1 is you aren't happy with how low it is. The 3:1 won't be too low but you may not feel you need it.

3. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

do you not have a transfer case now? the reason I ask is because if you do have one and are thinking of replacing it with a 205, why? the way you are going to use your truck does not require it. a 208 or 241 would do fine and have a decent ratio. 3:1 would be fine for your application, I personally think 2:1 is not low enough.

4. BrianDamage

I will most likely be running 35's....definately no bigger than 36

5. BrianDamage

because I want to :D really the only reason I have. I have a 208 in it now and the 700R4 is shot (again) .... going to change it all out at once, and maybe even have the engine rebuilt before this fall.

6. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I remember saying something like that once. now I have 44's. :D

as for you wanting to. go for it. nothing wrong with having what you want in your truck. I vote for a 3:1 or better ratio.

7. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I honestly think a stock case will be plenty for you. My usage is pretty much the same as yours but I only have 4.10 gears and I rarely even use low range. In mud, it's actually a handicap. You need wheel speed!

If you're not going to be pulling heavy loads up a hill over big rocks, then 2:1 works just fine.

If you think you might go crazy with tire size or whatnot, then spend the big bucks and get the lomax.