Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question regarding grounding my amp and guage wires needed

Discussion in 'Audio' started by kwcdawgfan, Feb 22, 2001.

1. kwcdawgfan

kwcdawgfan Registered Member

I am planning on installing my amp this weekend... Going to place it under the drivers seat and was wondering where / how is the best way to ground it... Could I just use the bolt that holds the seat down... Also what guage wire should I use for the power and ground wires (going to be running a 160 watt kenwood)... I plan on running the power wires underneath the door plates and as some of you suggested I will run the rca wires underneath the floor matt from along the hump... Any other suggestions to reduce engine noise / improve performance???

2. Whassup

Whassup 1/2 ton status

You should use a heavy guage 8 or bigger with any amp to insure you won't have engine feedback. also, it might seem like a waste of wire, but if at all possible, run ALL speaker wire on the opposite side of your truck, that is the best way to eliminate feedback. also, for your grounding, i recommend drilling a separate hole and scraping off the paint an inch around the hole and ground it separately, to insure a solid ground.

"There's NO replacement for displacement!"

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

8 gauge power wire is plenty big enough for 160 watts. Rockford Fosgate allows up to 500 watts for 8 gauge wire. Anyways make sure to use the exact same size ground wire. Put a fuse inline with the power cable within 12 inches of the battery. Use a goldplated ring terminal for the ground and just make sure it makes metal to metal contact. The seat bolt would be OK, doing it the other way would be a little better. Run the power wire and remote turn-on lead together and the RCA's and speaker wire on the other side of the truck.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

4. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

everything 73 said was true. Also, by the way, whil you are dong this it would be a good time to upgrade your grounds at the battery. When installing an amp, I always try to upgrade the body ground with an 8 awg. wire. I also like to run a 4 awg. to the frame.

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://dblazer.coloradok5.com>http://dblazer.coloradok5.com</A>