Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question regarding rear disk brakes and hard lines

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ducttape114, Aug 22, 2003.

1. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

caddi calipers on 14ff. i have heard that....

your supposed to use a flexy line between the caliper and the hard line(the one that runs along the top of the axle tube). this is so that as the caliper moves frome brake pad wear the hard line is not stretched.

when i was looking at my calipers, it looks like they are mounted to the braket such that they wont move at all. so did i hear wrong? whats the story? id prefer to not use any rubber if posible. thanks in advance.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The calipers have to move, or they won't work. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif The caliper slides back and forth on the mounting bolts as the brakes are applied. It also moves as the pads wear. You'll also find working on it a real pain in the a$$ without a flex line there. How will you move the caliper out of your way if it's hard plumbed? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I've got some short flex lines attached to mine. They're Wagner Part # F-97661. To make the transition from hard line to flex line, I used front brake hard-line-to-hose brackets from a ’91 Chevy Beretta . I just cut them down and welded them to the axle tube. The flex line attaches to the bracket using a clip like the one that holds the front brake flex lines to the frame. Then the hard line just screws into the flex line. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I used rubber lines for a 76 Chevette. They're nice and short and all the connections fit. Be sure to get the banjo bolts for the Caddy calipers, they are bigger than the ones on a Chevy truck.

4. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

awsome, thanks guys

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

If your worried about the rubber you can have some steel braided lines made to fit. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif