Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question(s) about extended brake lines

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chris87K5, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Chris87K5

Chris87K5 1/2 ton status

I am planning on installing a 4" lift and was wondering if I will need extended brake lines and if so where can I get them and for how much $. Thanks in advance.

2. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

If you need them or not depends on how much you plan to wheel. If you don't plan to go offraod, you don't need them. Some people will even say you don't need them if you wheel, but most will say you need them.

They cost around $90 & can be found at 4 wheel parts or others like it. If you're not in a huge hurry to get them & can wait a few days for them to be shipped, I would call Stacy at Sierra Off Road. They are located here in CA & can beat 4WPW price by a little bit. The # is 209 533-9120.

3. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

i did not need them on my 84 k5. but i havent wheeled yet and i wont till i buy them . if you do a search , there is a part number for some napa ones that are only about 12 bucks

4. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I think there is a method to determine if you need them or not. Here's what I'd suggest.

Jack up the truck by the frame and watch if the brake lines get taunt before the tires lift off the ground.

Support the truck with jack stands at the frame while the tires hang. Jack up one side of the front axle until that side lifts off the jack stand and then the other (trying to simulate front end twisting here /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif).

If at any point either of the brake lines pull taunt, get longer lines or relocate the lines lower.

Some words of advise. Don't use "I'll never wheel hard enough to do that" as an excuse not to get longer lines. Before you get those big bad Boggers or that fancy locker, make sure you can stop. It only takes one good pull to tear a front line and you've lost 70% of your stopping ability.

Good Luck,

Eric M.

5. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

I bought longer brake hoses from Autozone. They were for an 85 chevy van 1/2 or 3/4 ton they r the same. $18.99ea for the fronts and $25 for thr rear. They might be cheaper at another parts store. The stainless braided are for bigger tires. I am running 33" with a 4" lift. The fronts are about 5" longer and the rear is around 3.5" longer. I have no problem with the hoses that are on my blaze now, and they have a little over 172k miles on them. I ended only paying $48 for the hoses. I think that is much cheaper then $87.99 plus shipping for braided ones. All hoses have to be DOT approved anyway. So it shouldn't matter what kind you get as long as they are the correct length and application. I gave the part # to napa and they said that that hose was around $25. #38872 I think. That part # is for the front hose. Nothing for the back to match. Napa doesn't know what that part # is for either.