Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question to those who have rebuilt a Dana 60 Front....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Waxer, Mar 21, 2003.

1. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I'm currently in the process of rebuilding my D60 and regarding the king pin, Do any of you actually replace the pin itself or everything above it on up?

I have the D60 manual and it says that the new king pin needs to be torqued down to 500-600 ft lbs. Holy Smokes!!!!

Plus it looks like it requires the use of one hell of a large allen wrench or an allen socket thats big enough to fit in there.

Any ideas, tips?

thanks..

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Do not replace it if the kingpin does not have any nicks, scrapes or gouges on it. If it is all smooth and cone-shaped, leave it alone. Its not worth that hassle of the 500-600 ft. lbs. of torque. And yes, that torque reading is correct. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. Waxer

Thank you, I had read that on a post at POR, but I had wanted to confirm that here.

Steven

4. thatK30guy

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

BTW, I have seen a torque wrench that has readings up to 600 ft. lbs. before and it is loooooooooong!!! Something like a 4' long ratchet!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I recently rebuilt my D60 before installing it. I did replace the king pins, and they do torque to 500-600 ft. lbs. I have a torque wrench at work that goes to 500 ft. lbs. and I used it and then gave the pins a little more help with my 2 ton jack handle. I went to the local hardware store and bought a 7/8" allen wrench then cut off about 2 1/2" of it and also bought a 3/4" drive 7/8" impact socket and then used the allen wrench in it and it worked just fine.
    PS. Wes is correct, the torque wrench is about 4' long.

6. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I replaced mine....and helped "madmike" remove his...
    I thought it was a piece of CAKE!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    I used an allen wrench.....a 4' pipe...
    and heated the ears on the axle with a torch.....
    "madmike" has pics... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

We had badly scored king pins....though!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

Man, I used one of those babies before.... 4' long and pretty rock solid. We used them to towque down track pads on bulldozers....I think they even have one that goes to like 750 or something... I know Snap-On once had a 1" Impact that went that high.....

8. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Man, I used one of those babies before.... 4' long and pretty rock solid. We used them to towque down track pads on bulldozers....I think they even have one that goes to like 750 or something... I know Snap-On once had a 1" Impact that went that high.....

[/ QUOTE ]
    My 1" Snap-on impact has a max torque of 1400 ft lbs. My Snap-on 3/4" torque wrench goes to 600 ft lbs. I just need to get a 7/8"s allen socket for it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    My 1" Snap-on impact has a max torque of 1400 ft lbs. My Snap-on 3/4" torque wrench goes to 600 ft lbs. I just need to get a 7/8"s allen socket for it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And where it says "Snap-On" on the tools, it will say "mucho dough" in your check book!!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The last trailer place I worked at had a 4' long torque wrench that went to 500 ft/lbs. Often enough we had to torque U-bolts to 650 ft/lbs though...so we would use a multiplier adaptor between the socket and the torque wrench. Our multiplier was 3 to 1...kinda like a T-case for your torque wrench./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The multiplier had a 2 foot handle, as you pulled on the torque wrench the multiplier handle would spin the opposite direction. You had to find a way to trap the multiplier handle...

rene

11. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Do not replace it if the kingpin does not have any nicks, scrapes or gouges on it. If it is all smooth and cone-shaped, leave it alone. Its not worth that hassle of the 500-600 ft. lbs. of torque. And yes, that torque reading is correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats just how i looked at it.

you got a part number for the nylon inverted cones on the dang things? i cant find them anywhere and mine were in like 4 pieces.
    thanks.
    grant

12. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Dont go out and buy a huge allen wrench if you dont already have one... A 9/16" lugnut fits the allen hole almost perfectly on the king pin. Put one in a socket and you have yourself a handy dandy allen wrench.

13. Waxer

[ QUOTE ]
    Dont go out and buy a huge allen wrench if you dont already have one... A 9/16" lugnut fits the allen hole almost perfectly on the king pin. Put one in a socket and you have yourself a handy dandy allen wrench.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good tip and it worked nicely. Fit nice and snug into the king pin. Now that I have the housing on the truck (bolted up to the leaf springs), I can now get my strength behind it and swap out the king pins. Mine were gouged to hell and back.

Thanks for that nice tip....