Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question: Why do we do things?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Dec 3, 2005.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

What I'm meaning to ask, with smoking and drinking threads... is why do we as humans do things?

I think most of us would acknowledge that smoking, drug abuse and excessive alcohol isn't good or healthy.

From a "Spock" point of view, doing those things which have no positive value as far as health goes is illogical. Smoking or drinking beer or doing illegal drugs are not necessarily things which humans must do to survive. However, eating food, breathing air, drinking fluids and water is necessary to sustain life.

Who's idea was it to make a cigarrette when the basic idea of it carries no value or necessity? (that was a rhetorical question... I'm sure we all have our own ideas or explanation for that one).

We as humans create and sell to our fellow kind things which are harmful and/or deadly. We as humans create the very pop-up advertisements and computer viruses that we as humans seek to avoid. And what of telemarketers? Has anyone really ever bought anything they were trying to sell?

Ok, so maybe I'm getting off track. Point is, sometimes I have to look at people as a whole and kind of laugh... as if some logical alien race were to observe us and wonder the value or utilitarian use of a cigarrette; or wonder why we should need "antivirus" protection against viruses when people could have just not created viruses in the first place. Or wonder why one would do drugs when they have bad effects on the body- usually in nature animals stay away from things that aren't necessary for survival (in most cases).

I'm not condemning us overall, just saying we are kind of funny creatures. I just as anyone else have my weird habits that don't make sense.

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Why do some humans have a "Fleet" of vehicles :wink1: :D

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

We do so because we choose to, as a result of our total experience

We weigh the positive and negatives and impact if we're doing things right

We act on pure pleasure and profit if we're doing things wrong

We justify our actions in a futile attempt to give reason to the chaos

We sometimes succeed

Just be happy, and make others happy

Just have faith in the abstract ideals of justice, goodness, peace, and love

Just have faith in your fellow man

Keep The Faith, Brother

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Certainly from a spock point of view one fuel efficient vehicle would make more sense...

Rene

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Practicality as the leading force of human behavior would be ever so boring though

Posessions can give happiness, but there is a practical limit. The saturation point of the positive feeling from them is different for different people. It depends on how hard you had to work to get them, whether you got them in a positive way, and how much the total enjoyment you ultimately get when balanced.

Own complete practicality and you are safe but possibly missing enjoyment

Own balanced and you have something somewhat practical and enjoyable

Own cospicuously and the practicality aspect, being unfullfilled, can bring sorrow

6. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Hip hip, very well said!

Offbeat Q:? How do you define your thoughts so elequently, RJ? I would like to do this myself.

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

He was smoking and drinking while writing. :D

I drink and smoke because it relaxes me and I enjoy a cigar once in a while. I would probably drink more andsmoke more if it wasn't so bad for me.

8. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

My futile justification for my chaotic mess of vehicles is I wanted to try and see how many I could have/build with good bulletfroof drivetrains while still having less invested than one new truck and try a variety of "themes" and lift/tire combos, motors, wheelbases, etc. However, there is no logical basis. Too many trucks and off-roading are my illogical points of existance.

On smoking and drinking, I have heard from many people that they need or wish to do it to keep calm and to stay relaxed. Had a person not started to smoke in the first place, would they need it for those reasons? It's one of those, "If you never did it/had it, you can't miss it or crave it" things.

I'm not trying to condemn anyone who does smoke or drink... just wondering hypothetically had cigarrettes or beer or illegal forms of drugs never existed or been created in the first place, would anyone miss them? I'll admit, if I started smoking right now, even though I know it's bad for health reasons, just like anyone else I'd develop a dependancy on it and my body would feel like I need it.

Such is what happened with my trucks instead. I got more than one and felt like I wanted more. And more. If I were forced to sell them all I'd probably suffer withdrawal and die. If I had lived in a time before automobiles, I couldn't feel this way. If they didn't exist, I couldn't miss them or want more and therefore I wouldn't have a bunch of tore apart 4x4s in my field.