Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question...

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by K5 NUTT, Oct 5, 2000.

1. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Here is a good one...i have 2 new in the bag US GI issue antenee balls? When i was in the service i remember all our M1009's antenee's had these on the ends of the antenne's...question is does anyone have any clue of what they are supposed to do? BTW....they are teardrop in shape....and of course green...go figure...lol.

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

2. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

are you talking about for the top/tip of the antenna or for the mounting point? i've seen ball/spring mount combos for between where it is bolted to the body and where the actual antenna shaft starts, usually a ball is there when a 90deg. angle is needed from the mounting point....
    ?????
    HAYDUKE

Insured By COLT, Policy #.357M

http://haydukesk5.coloradok5.com

3. OhioJimmy

OhioJimmy Registered Member

They are for better reception and supposedly give you a better and clearer signal when you transmit. They have a copper disc inside but I forget all the details. When I was in the Army we put the on everything but had to wrap them in black tape to keep them on as the trees and such would yank them right off. You can buy them in The Sportsmans guide for like 3 bucks or goto sportsmansguide.com Good souvenier though. Not sure if they will fit on a standard cb antennae. Give it a try and see. Later

When the mud gets deep and the hills get steep we'll find out who bought the parts that were cheap.

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I have to agreee with OhioJimmy. I recall reading something (in a military manual) about how they "tune" the radiation pattern of the antenna for clearer reception and better range. The book said something about copper wire and a copper disc, but I'm not real certain about details. Give it a try, I don't think it can hurt.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!