Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

questionable leaky 14ff fix

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by surpip, Apr 12, 2005.

1. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

So my axle has been leaking for some time now, i finally got the wheel hub leak down to a dull roar, but after me and joe worked on the pinion seal, it started to leak alot around the pinion support.
    So I took it back out and put just a thin film of black RTV around the round part of the support, closest to the bolt flange, Im talkin just a little bit, just enough to seal any inperfections in the support.

So how bad is that? I cant image that the RTV would be any thincker than a shim, and evan if it was, would adding another "shim" really be that bad?
    just dont want to jack up ,my "new" gears.

BTW it dosent leak anny more, so thats good, and im talkin it was wicked leaking, Diff fluid all over the back of the truck, and it would be down 2 quarts of fluid after only driving 50 miles or less

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

3. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

Ok , I'm not familiar with the14ff so I am going to say that a thin film of rtv. will not change anything , it will just squish out and seal it up

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

tub caulk is a good one to use

4x4 guys use it

i jkust put caulk on my eaton axle diff cover under my 71 the other day, since even the new gasket was leaking badly...

no more leaks now

caulk saved the day

it is what i will always use on diff covers from now on

make sure you run the bead around innder side of bolt holes and not around outer of them, let it sit for a while to get real tacky, i let mine sit out in direct hot sun for around 45 minutes or maybe even an hour before putting it on,
    set the cover on diff housing carefully without smashing caulk hardly at all til you get all bolts threaded in and even,.. that way it doesnt squeeze out so bad and it seals/sticks very well

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

sweet i diddent think i should be worried

6. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

The shims between the removeable pinion support and the housing is what determines the pinion depth. Under no circumstances would I put any sealer on this surface, because it WILL change the pinion depth (pinion depth must be exact to .001", RTV is thicker than that).

7. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

if you can still get a decent mesh patternon the drive-side of the teeth with the rtv, I say leave it. I set up my 14bff dry, with no rtv and the pattern was dead nutz. then I added just a little rtv to keep it from leaking and ran the pattern again...it didn't change AT ALL. I have had the gears in for 7 months now and not a sign of a problem...AND NO LEAKS

I used just the black Permatex sealant to seal the pinion support.

8. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I tweaked my pinion housing part while trying to get the pinion gera out (took 15 tons of pressure) so when I installed it it leaked pretty bad, I just pull it out about 1/2" and fileld it with RTV let it sit for about 1hr bolted it back down, hasnt leaked a drop since :)
    Your fine