Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

questions 1980-later np205's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazin_blazer, Feb 3, 2007.

1. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

i just don't understand it, but it seems i have become the go to guy when people are looking for 4x4 parts. people have figured out i'm a chevy only man(so not as many people out here looking for ford and dodge parts anymore!), due to the 23 k-series trucks and blazers i have neatly lined up in the yard,(5 per row)starting 6th row now. most people need driveline stuff, trannies or transfers or axles, an occasional door, hood(what every1 seems to be looking for is a glovebox door with a hinge that isn't broken, didn't chevy make a metal hinge for these?/

not my question, but thought i would ask while i was here) and the real story is, i really don't want to sell my parts!(i don't mind working on their rigs, but i think to myself when i sell a part.."i'll need that 1 day!") thats my own little parts yard, but when someone wants a front and rear for a 6 holer and i let it go for $250-350, because i know where another whole truck is for $150-300, i just have to go for it, especially if the new truck is in better shape or a 25-3500 series! the thing is, i've found a niche around here, every1 wants a trazer, so i started building the trucks on the blazer frames and have been doing quite well, hope this is a start to something bigger!

i make tube doors, cages, whatever they want,(i'm going to contact black widow and buy a lot of their spider web gussets here shortly to add that hey look factor) i have done a couple of full converts on newer model k-5's for guys around here, and my name is getting around. i have people calling from at least 2 1/2 hrs away looking for certain parts(the high pressure a/c line is something alot of people are looking for also!)

for some funny reason, the last 4-5 trucks i bought (including the 1985 swb stepside, (i got it today, so happy to have a straight clean stepside!!, going to be my baby!aka mall crawler..err umm rolling advertisement..yea, yea thats what it will be, it has a cowl induction hood(metal), a warn winch, a brand new set of 39.5 swampers, a new 8'' lift system and a freshly rebuilt 454, and no rust, all for $2750, i thought that was a smoking deal), of all the trucks, they range from a '74 k-5, a '86 k-30, a '78 k-2500, and a '76 k-5 and the afore mentioned '84(last 5 aquired)

every single one of them have a 350/350/205 in them, but every single one of them also have the '80 or later transfer with the tailshaft on its rear. are the yoke mounted transfercases becoming extinct? or is it just a recuring coinsciendence? did CUCV's come with these tailshaft transfers?

**question 1..can you just change the output shaft on these to make them fit a yoke on the rear, or would it be alot more involved than this?

**#2 what are the pro's and cons of this type slip joint, as opposed to it being in the driveshaft itself?(i am mostly a mud runner, so there isn't alot of flexing, my thinking is to shorten the rear tailshaft to a yoke to make the driveshaft longer therefor making the u-joint angles a little better. wouldn't that be correct? i have several yoke transfers, but just want to know for future reference, incase they do start getting really hard to find!

**the reason is, that i want to build a special driveshaft for the rear of my personal truck(using the u-joints that dodge is putting in the v-10 trucks and vipers, i'm not sure of the series of the u-joint i'm refering too, but its huge and spicer said they could get me the yoke for the transfer and the d60 rear, to use the u-joint i want but it requires the rear yoke on the transfer, then i can get my yoke for the transfer and the rear from spicer for these u-joints and put it in and put the slip joint in the drive shaft. thanks for the info before hand

2. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

**question 1..can you just change the output shaft on these to make them fit a yoke on the rear, or would it be alot more involved than this?

I think you just take the output stuff off and bolt on the new stuff. Never had one so can't really say..

**#2 what are the pro's and cons of this type slip joint, as opposed to it being in the driveshaft itself?(i am mostly a mud runner, so there isn't alot of flexing, my thinking is to shorten the rear tailshaft to a yoke to make the driveshaft longer therefor making the u-joint angles a little better. wouldn't that be correct? i have several yoke transfers, but just want to know for future reference, incase they do start getting really hard to find!

With the slip style, if the whole rear gets alot of downward movement, it will pull out of the case. There isn't alot of travel on this style.

**the reason is, that i want to build a special driveshaft for the rear of my personal truck(using the u-joints that dodge is putting in the v-10 trucks and vipers, i'm not sure of the series of the u-joint i'm refering too, but its huge and spicer said they could get me the yoke for the transfer and the d60 rear, to use the u-joint i want but it requires the rear yoke on the transfer, then i can get my yoke for the transfer and the rear from spicer for these u-joints and put it in and put the slip joint in the drive shaft. thanks for the info before hand

Probly a 1350 joint. Not that hard to find, but since I don't know anything about Viper's, dunno what they use.

3. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Wow... that was a LOT of setup for two simple questions.

#1: Yes. Additionally you can sell the fixed-yoke output assemblies on eBay for about $75 each. I have a buddy who's looking for one right now, in fact.

#2: The biggest benefit to a fixed yoke (at least for me) is that you can remove the shaft if it breaks and still get home in FWD. If you have a slip yoke, you lose all your t-case fluid if you drive without the rear shaft.

If the u-joint is that huge, it's probably a 1410. 1350 really isn't all that big and doesn't have much flex.

Jesse at High Angle Driveline is who you need to talk to about all that kind of stuff.

4. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

thanks guys, i hadn't even thought about losing fluid from a broken rear driveshaft. thats a good point. i wonder if any other rear yokes will fit the 205. like a 203 setup or something. i'm sorry about the long windedness, i type pretty fast and it doesn't take long to fill a page, i'll try and be shorter and more to the point from now on.