Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions about 5 speed manuals

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ugly_blazer, Jul 28, 2004.

1. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I want to put a manual transmission in my K-20 with a 350 TBI. I was thinking it would be cool to have a 5 speed transmission because the OD would be nice on the highway(where the truck spends most of it's time). I will need one from a 2 wheel drive vehicle. Does it have to be from a truck? Would one from a Camaro or Firebird work? Or is it not strong enough or have the wrong gear ratios to work well in a truck? Are the 5 speeds all hydro clutch? How much should I expect to pay for a complete 5 speed?

Sorry so many questions, I really don't know anything about manuals...

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd say steer away from a car transmission. Many of them are perfectly fine in cars, but trucks introduce many more problems that car parts can't handle.

As an example, the stock truck 10 bolt is a known weakness, yet in the cars that they came in, they are coveted for their strength.

NV4500 is about your only viable option, although for a "light duty" truck, that isn't abused, the NV3500 might work as well. Doesn't have the low range or strength of the 4500, but if you don't need the strength or low range, it would probably work fine.

Never heard of anyone putting one in our body style, but it's gotta be similar to the 4500.

3. ugly_blazer

Thanks for the reply, I guess I will start looking for a NV4500 or even a NV3500 as low range and strength aren't a huge concern.

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Find a Clark 5-speed from an older C50 or C60 - possibly a schoolbus. Some are OD, others are direct 5th. Doesn't matter much IMO - just choose gearing & tire size accordingly.

If its from behind a smallblock or I6, the input shaft and bolt pattern are such that it fits on an SM465 bellhousing.

5. ugly_blazer

[ QUOTE ]
    Find a Clark 5-speed from an older C50 or C60 - possibly a schoolbus. Some are OD, others are direct 5th. Doesn't matter much IMO - just choose gearing & tire size accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be an option. I checked the price on some NV3500 transmissions and they were pretty high $$$. Maybe a good deal will come along. The tires and gears are already done, 35's and 4.56's.

6. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

It's not what you're looking for, but the Clark direct drive 5 speeds rock for towing and hauling! It's like having a gear splitter between 3rd and 4th, where you need it the most. I haven't heard much about the OD Clarks.