Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions about a 427 BBC?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CaveBlazin, Aug 21, 2002.

1. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ok so I looked through the search engine and didnt find really what I was looking for. Im wanting to get some general info on a 427 BBC. Stuff like why do they call it a tall deck and what kind of Torque and HP these big daddy's put out. Actually anyone who has ANY info on them would be great! I have an offer I dont think I should pass this up. Lets just say around 400 complete and running probably needs a rebuild but its never been bored!!!

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Buy it! Learn about it later! That is a scream'in deal!

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

if it is a TALL DECK do NOT buy it unless you are fairly knowledgeable about what swaps from a normal BBC

tall deck is heavy truck motor, it has a (you guessed it)taller deck hieght, oddball 4 ring pistons, super small head ports, revs to about 3000rpm, wont accept most common Hiper BBC parts like intake manifolds

4. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey MJ can this engine be a good engine if I were to have someone with the knowledge that would be backing me through this. Is this engine just for towing or something whats the deal with it???

5. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

If it is a tall deck, it can be set up with regular pistons if you use an aftermarket rod that is .400" longer. The deck hieght is 9.8" on a Std block and 10.2" on a tall deck. You will need special push rods, either a special intake or intake spacers, and a special distributor or the distributor boss milled down. Otherwise, std BB chevy parts will work on these engines. I'd get it if it were me. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

What m j said......

I would not buy a tall deck 366 or 427 BBC as the parts used in them are a little different than the regular BBC parts.

But like m j said, if you don't know what the parts are and what all is involved with the tall deck BBC, stay away from them. Do some homework (a lot!) and read up about these motors.

IMO, the only thing the tall deck BBC's are good for is to build a stroker engine. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif With these blocks, you can get a little radical with larger crankshafts and get into the ranges of over 500 cubic inches, easily! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey Wes, so whats wrong with big cubes, no replacement for displacement. When in doubt, bore it out. That is the motto. Almost everything from normal BBC will interchange into the tall deck block with the exception of rods, pushrods, and distributor. There are intake manifold spacers made for installing normal BBC intakes on these engines.

8. thatK30guy

Yes, thats true, BUT, there are quite a few people who do not know anything about the tall deck and standard deck. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Those who do not know the difference about them and do not do their homework are/will find out the hard way if they buy parts and/or do a rebuild of the tall deck motor. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

They are gonna find out the standard aluminum intake is not gonna fit. They are gonna wonder why the pistons are not the right ones. Etc. etc.

Its easier to use a standard deck block rather than a tall deck.

I also agree about the "no replacement for displacement" motto. But the person would also have to do some homework to find the right pistons/rods combo to fit/work with the stroker crank. Not easy if you don't know what to look for. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

So, thats what I mean by passing on these motors. Just easier on a person when they have an actual BBC standard deck motor. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

9. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Any motor shop worth their ratchets, should know about what to do to a tall deck. These motors are too easy to get massive power out of, it would make for a great rock motor, you would never rev. it that high anyway.

10. Sandman

Is there an easy way to visually tell the difference between the two blocks?

11. thatK30guy

Yes and no. Yes, you would have to really "know" about the tall deck motors to be able to identify them WITHOUT checking the back of the block, where there will be a stamping "truck" on it. If you look on the back area of the block where the "hi perf" is casted into the block, there will also be "truck" casted into it. This is the easiest way to identify the motor.

If the motor is still mated to the tranny, then the way to identify is to check the very front part of the block, right under the seal where the intake manifold sits on the block, on the very front. Right above the timing cover, behind the small rubber hose from the water pump to the intake, and you should see the heighth of the deck, or block, will be almost a 1/2" taller than a standard block.

To the untrained eye, this is something that is overlooked, every time. If you can "study" a standard and tall deck motor, you will quickly be able to understand them. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

12. Sandman

I see. Is the 427 the only "Tall Block" or are there others?

13. thatK30guy

AFAIK, the GM motors for the tall deck are only in 366 and 427. The rest of the V-8's are the SBC, BBC, and diesels. I'm not gonna count the V-6's, etc. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

14. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

427 is just like a 454, but with a higher reving short stroke crank. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

15. GMslave

GMslave 1/2 ton status

Mmmmmm.....stroker.....(say it like Homer Simpson)