Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

questions about a np 203

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jmann, Mar 18, 2005.

1. jmann

jmann Registered Member

I am new to this site and I have a question about my np 203 t-case.

1. How do I tell if it is full time or a part time.

2. When i am driving down the road and I put my hand on the shifter and I let up on the gas I can feel a clunk in the shifter. Can somebody tell me what the clunk noise is. first I thought it was the u joints but I changed them and it is still there.

2. chasone64

chasone64 Registered Member

1. All 203's are full time, unless someone installed a part-time kit in it.
    Do you have locking hubs? If not it should be full time. Only way I know to tell for sure is raise the front wheels off the ground & try to turn the drive shaft, while in hi & hi lock. If the shaft turns while in hi & not in hi lock it is part time.
    2. I would check the chain in the 203 case. I bet it's stretched & is slopping on the gears between accell & decell. (Happened to me on my last one)
    If so have it replaced.

3. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

2. When i am driving down the road and I put my hand on the shifter and I let up on the gas I can feel a clunk in the shifter. Can somebody tell me what the clunk noise is. first I thought it was the u joints but I changed them and it is still there.[/QUOTE]
    check the x member bushings and u joints too:thumb:

4. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Its probably the chain/ When they wear they will make a clunking sound. My old K20 does it whenever I'n not easy with the gas.