Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

questions about a tow rig....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mudrunner78, Feb 4, 2003.

1. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

...ok I am not to good with the search couldn't find my question, but here it is, I have been seriously considering getting a older 3/4 ton 2wd, I am wondering do you think this type of truck will be up to pulling a 9k lb trailer. I would like a diesel but cant find one in the price range I am looking for, I figures a stock to mild 454, and II should be ok. I would ultimaly like to swap in a newer 5 speed, but is there a OD out there to bolt up behind a th-400 that does not cost an arm and a leg. How well do the 6.2 diesel pull, could a bank kit wake up a 6.2 enough to pull a 9k trailer. thanks in advance Jesse

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You could ask this same question in the Diesel forum for better answers on the 6.2 and what it is capable of. I like my 6.2 just fine but admittedly I haven't towed with it yet.

I did see a pic of a 29' 5th wheel hooked up to Casey's truck. He said it pulled just fine but the truck itself wasn't designed for that kind of weight. Apparently it was a customers trailer...

Rene

3. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

thanks I will try it in the diesel forum Jesse

4. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

Rene, by casey do you mean arveetek, his truck is bad.. got to love the side pipes..

5. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

6.2 diesel will not pull worth a hoot. They can barely pull their own weight up a hill at the speed limit. You can get an older Dodge with a 12 valva cummins pretty cheap, and those will pull.

John