Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions about carburetors

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85bigblazer, Sep 19, 2003.

1. 85bigblazer

85bigblazer Newbie

I have a 85 Blazer that has a holley carb on it that runs rough. I want to go back to a quadrajet so i bought a q jet from a 86 blazer. The problem is that the person who had the blazer before me destroyed the vaccum system around the carb, so there are missing lines and excess lines and a real mess. When i was looking at the 86 model carb i noticed an electrical connector on it(not the choke but something different). I don't see anything that looks like that on my 85 blazer. Should my 85 have the electrical connector? Can i use the 86 carb without the connector hooked up? Would i be better off getting an older carb?

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I would look for an older(pre 1980)carb,if yours has wires going into the bowl,its a computer controlled feedback carb that will never run right on a non computer vehicle.I would reccomend a carter AFB or Edelbrock Performer,the holleys and quadrabogs I had were nothing but a pain in the /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif!~My 400 small block feels like twice the motor it was with n AFB on it instead of the quadrajet that gas washed my rings halfway out of it--now it smokes a little /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif.

3. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

Q-jet all the way. get a non computerized with an electric choke for ease of installation. before you put it on get a rebuild kit for 20 bucks and epoxy the fuel wells with som JB weld and slap er on there. your carter/edelpuke friends will be sputtering and stalling as you put put right up the trail. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif next best thing to tbi /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

There are non-computer q-jets with electrical connectors.

One electrical connector (front top passenger side) is a non-CCC q-jet, two electrical connectors (same as before plus TPS on drivers side front edge of carb) is a CCC-q-jet that won't work *right* without the plugs.

If you've got the time, I say try the carb you picked up, and see what happens. Have yet to hear from anyone that has tried to use one without the temperature switch.

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I have to agree with dyeager here. Truck carbs were never CCC. There was a temperature enrichment solenoid a couple of years with a 2-wire connector. It just ran through a temp switch screwed into the manifold, no complicated electronics. Plus, there is always the 1-wire electric choke. The CCC carbs have more electrical connectors.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

We went through this before. Remember I showed you the scanned images of the CCC Q-jet out of the truck manual? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

Dyeager is right. i just worked on a CCC 86 blazer last week. has all the sensors as a tbi truck does, plus computer controled hei.

i was wrong above on the carb deal. like eager says, the ones with the tps are ccc. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

CCC was California emissions thing only, but did exist on trucks.

9. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status