Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

questions about catfishing in a cold muddy creek

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R77K10, Apr 30, 2006.

1. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

ok well its been a few years since ive really done any real fishing and even longer since ive done any real cat fishing,
    it is hard to find any waters to fish around here because it is all privately owned now, which pisses me off,

but i can find places to fish in salt creek at least, and i want to get back into it this year at least

so anyways whats really good bait for catfishing cold muddy creeks and whats a good way to rig it up so it doesnt get swept away yet doesnt get hung up on the bottom

whats the trick

if i had a jon boat i would just run bank poles, but i dont have one yet, but i should

hmm

thanks

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Can't beat minnows for catfish.................and anything else big enough to eat 'em! Nick their tail fins for some good fish attracting vibration! :wink1:

3. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

We use threadfin shad whole, or gizzard shad cut into chunks.

Clay

4. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

On a creek, find a good deep pooling area. I'd throw out a double setup with two or three shad on some trebles. Get a really heavy weight so that it wont get pushed by the current and then get your line tight. This usually suspends your bait at about 1" which is where the cats usually are. When it starts twitching, set em!

5. spincast375

spincast375 1/2 ton status

ok, first off look for anything submerged(cover) - treestumps, fallen trees, bushes leaning over the water, etc. find out which way teh water is flowing and get upstream of the cover. i use chicken livers. cast out and let it float down til its about one or two feet upstream of your cover and let it sit.

using a whole liver you shouldnt need to add any weight but you can if u want.

i prefer not to set at a twitch - might scare them off if theyr not sure. cats are pretty good about taking it and swimming around with it in their mouths. when ur line starts actually moving around, set.

6. koldsimer

Good calls on the specific spots, upstream and CHICKEN LIVERS! They realy do work great especialy for creek channel cats. I've always had my best luck using shad on a lake or stinkbait and livers in creeks. It seems like lake cats spit it faster than creek cats for some reason- is it the same for you guys?

7. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

chicken livers and clam snouts

8. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

or just walk in the creek and start sticking your arm in holes until one bites, once i get down to georgia, ill be noodling all the time after classes

9. koldsimer

I still haven't done any noodlin'. A bunch of the east Texas and Ok. boys do it though. I've always been worried about a good size alligator snapper getting my finger. Those can be some mean bastards.

10. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

"noodlin' "??? I take it you guys don't have snapping turtles down there, do ya?

11. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

Haha does anyone get Out Door Life? In the latest one, theres a whole article of how this guy noodles for huge snapping turtles, its insane. Alot of people down there do it for turtle meat.

12. koldsimer

WOW! I've messed with many alligator snappers and regular snapping turtles in east Texas. I even had one snap a wheel spoke on my bmx bike when I was a kid. How does this guy keep his fingers?

13. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I worked with some guys that would go catch "cooters" by hand. Snapping turtles always go in the hole head first, the tail end facing out. They would bring home a sack full, or two. Said if your hand feels air, jerk it back out, it's either a muskrat hole or a water snake/cotton mouth den! :eek1:

14. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

15. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

as others have said, id be more worried about gators or muskrats