Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions about combo for 465/205 swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MudFlap, Oct 12, 2004.

1. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

I have an 89 Blazer with a 700/241 and a 75 Blazer (mainly for parts) with a 465/205. I thinking about swapping the 465/205 into the 89. I am not asking how to or what to watch out for or what will I have to do to the driveshaftss, etc. I just know that spline counts changed and some other things. So is the combo from the 75 a good combo? It will just be a 465/205, no doubler or anything like that and it will most likely be behind a strong smallblock pushing some high hp numbers.

Thanks

2. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Spline counts mean nothing as you are swapping the tranny and tcase together. I do know you may need a different flywheel as the 89 will have the newer 2 piece real main seal crank that I don't think the '75 flywheel will bolt to. You will certainly need driveshafts as the 241 is a slip yoke style rear shaft. Not positive about the front. As for the combo the sm465/205 is pretty much considered bulletproof. Most of us get out 465/205s from 3/4 and 1 tons so I dunno if there is a difference between a 205 from a 1/2 ton or a 3/4 or 1 ton.

3. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

the 465/205 is a very stout combo, and probably one of the more common stick shift combos. the only thing to look out for is the coupler sleeve between the trans output and transfer case input, mine was trash when I disassembled my truck. the trans needs a new mainshaft and new sleeve (because of years of driving with the drivetrain slip, wore it down so its almost sharp). you might not have this problem, but I have heard a lot of ppl running the 465/205 having this problem. 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton 465/205 combos are the same 10 spline, with the exception of when the 1 ton went to 32 spline with no coupler sleeve (in 85 or so). it is a much stronger setup and better designed IMO, I am currently searching for one.

4. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

Anybody know how long this set up is from bellhousing to center of rear u-joint? This may help you decide about the driveshafts.

5. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

I don't know what I am gonna do about driveshafts I have a SYE kit on my 241 and a 1 ton HAD CV shaft with a 1410 axle yoke. I will have to figute something out there.

6. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton 465/205 combos are the same 10 spline, with the exception of when the 1 ton went to 32 spline with no coupler sleeve (in 85 or so). it is a much stronger setup and better designed IMO, I am currently searching for one.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the change in splines that I was thinking about.

7. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    the 465/205 is a very stout combo, and probably one of the more common stick shift combos. the only thing to look out for is the coupler sleeve between the trans output and transfer case input, mine was trash when I disassembled my truck. the trans needs a new mainshaft and new sleeve (because of years of driving with the drivetrain slip, wore it down so its almost sharp). you might not have this problem, but I have heard a lot of ppl running the 465/205 having this problem. 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton 465/205 combos are the same 10 spline, with the exception of when the 1 ton went to 32 spline with no coupler sleeve (in 85 or so). it is a much stronger setup and better designed IMO, I am currently searching for one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am about the swap a SM465 (32 spline version /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) In to my blazer. It was out if a 1985 K30. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif So a 1985 and up would be the years I would look for.

8. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

they are hard to find. Jerry (JK5) just bought an '86 K30 with that setup, he says the local JY has one of these too. if that does not pan out, i am going to have to use the stock 10 spline adapter with ORD's conversion kit.