Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions about diesel emmisions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlackDog714, Feb 5, 2004.

1. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

A buddy of mine has a 96 K2500 Suburban with a 6.5T. He just went to get his emmisions tested (God I hate Seattle sometimes) and he got a 49% opacity (40% allowed). Anyone know why this might be happening? How do you fix it?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You guys are allowed 40%??? /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

I'm only allowed 30% max with my NA 6.2 on a loaded dyno.

Things to check would be the obvious first, air cleaner. They get dirty quick and anything limiting air into the motor will cause higher opacity. Pump timing could be off a little, and of course some smart-ass may have turned the pump up a bit.

One thing that also helps is to run the Stanadyne fuel conditioner. It'll raise the cetane levels a bit and should also reduce the amount of smoke some.

My troubles trying to pass (aside from being allowed so much less smoke /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif) is that my truck has a manual tranny. It's pretty easy to lug the truck badly on a dyno.

I advanced my pump timing a little, new air filter element and cut the housing to make it an open element (bad idea...too loud), put a bottle of Stanadyne fuel conditioner in, mounted up my little 35's and crossed my fingers.

Rene

3. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Timing, boost leak, inlet restriction, injectors with low opening pressure, weak injector pump. Check the obvious and easy things first like air filter and related piping, all clamps in the air system, etc. Pump is electronically controlled as far as fueling, and I dont know if it controls timing as well, but make sure base timing is correct by checking the timing marks on pump and front cover and assuring they are lined up.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Hopefully somewhat related, watched a show on TV the other day (trucks?) that they put one of this "power systems" in that basiaclly tricks the ECM into thinking the sensor readings are different.

The results as I recall were pretty impressive, power was up all across the board. One thing I noticed though was that the truck smoked like a chimney when they "got on it" after installing this system. Since the test is to see how well light passes through the exhaust, would a modified chip or whatever result in worse test results? (and I'm assuming this '96 in question COULD have a chip to monkey with)

5. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Fill it up with biodiesel. It has worked for me.

6. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Almost forgot about wastegate problems. The boost actually cleans up smoke, so if your wastegate is stuck open or the computer is opening it when it shouldnt you arent getting the inlet air pressure you need, thus high smoke.

7. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

[Hijack on] Just a stupid story about diesel emissions, the PO of my '84 6.2 Blazer put a th350 in to replace the 700r4. So OD=3, D=2, 2=1, and 1=nothing on the shift indicator. They threw it up on the dyno and put it in D (now second gear, not third) and revved it up to 55 mph under load. I'm on the other side of the glass in the isolation booth freaking out 'cause I've never heard my truck roar so loud. Needless to say, emissions were much lower the next year with the proper trans. [Hijack off]
    Good luck with the 6.5 /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

8. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Hi all!

Once you make sure the mechanicals are working properly, you might check out www.bndautomotive.com and give them a call. They have a diesel fuel catalyst that enables fleets to meet the tough EPA phase III regulations without retrofitting pollution equipment. I've been using their gasoline catalyst for a few years, and my 87 does outstanding on Ohio's emissions tests, even the new tests for oxides of nitrogen.

I've gotten to know the owner of BND pretty well, and he showed me his diesel stuff. crap fuel is the cause of a lot of problems ( such as smoking) according to him..anyway, give 'em a call.

Tom /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif