Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

questions about diffs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by THE REV, Jan 23, 2007.

1. THE REV

THE REV Newbie

Hello out there and hope that everyone got what they wanted 4 chriistmas.My question is I,ve got a 12 bolt reardiff and a 10 bolt front diff,I,ve always thought that a 12 bolt was a posi am I wrong?.Oh this is a 76 c10 4x4 auto trans.Also I was told that the front diff is a different ratio dont know why but is,nt this a bad thing???. Just wanted to know thanks 4 all your help.Oh by the way do,s anyone have a wiring diagram for the dash lights of same truck??.thanks again will be waiting for some help.
    THE REV:weld: :grind: :hack:

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

If it has any kind of traction device in the rear, it is a gov-lok. The factory never offered different ratios front to rear and if your truck actually has that, then yes, that is bad.

3. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

c10? K10 :)

4. CB77GMC

CB77GMC 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

The axle itself doesn't have anything to do with weather its locked or not. You have to look inside. Axles that have different ratios front and rear cannot be driven in 4wd. Different gearing is probably the result of swapping in an axle because one broke before.

6. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

It can if he has a full time 4WD t-case with a center differential (NP203 :deal:). That will burn up the differential in the t-case pretty quickly though.

7. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

yeah, having different ratios front to rear would be a big problem on any surface with decent traction. you could get away with it in soupy mud, probably, but i don't see it helping. it would be funny to see, if the truck was a cartoon. faster front wheels would make the front run away and stretch the thing, and faster rear wheels would advance to fast and turn the truck into an upside down taco. that, i'd like to see :haha:.