Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions about dog breeding......

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jimmyjack, Apr 17, 2003.

1. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I have a 9 yr old female golden retriever. A lady was walking her male down the street the other day and asked if I was interested in getting them together for a doggie date. Her dog is a little older too and she wants a puppy that he has sired. He has papers, mine doesn't. And she has offered for to pay any costs. All she wants is a male puppy. Is there an age thats considered too old? Or too dangerous? She's a virgin also so I don't even know if she'll be receptive. She's kind of a snob /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> 9 years old is pretty dang old for a bitch to be having pups... You've dealt with her going into heat for that long and never bred her?</font>

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

She's strictly an outdoor dog, so it was never really an issue. I let her deal with it. She never acted any differently.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> It wouldn't be her that I'd worry about, it would be every male dog within 10 miles trying to knock down your fence. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif </font>

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Never was an issue, we used to have a springer spaniel(fixed) who was wicked wicked gnarly mean. Not many dogs ever came over. Not even the nieghbors lab, he wanted the springer, couldn't care less about the goldie. Plus she's not very receptive to ANY other dogs, male or female. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

There's a good chance your 9 year old dog wouldn't make it through the pregnancy/birth of the pups. It's not a good idea.
    Generally, female dogs are in their breeding prime in their 2nd and 3rd years...after that they usually get spayed.