Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions about driving with a 203.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by y5mgisi, Jul 31, 2006.

1. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Ok so i have a 203 in my 78 burb. Apperently its never been messed with and is in good shape. The truck came too me with half tons and"drive flanges" on the front like a full time truck would have. Well i converted it to 3/4 ton and warn hubs. Ive been driving it around with the hubs unlocked. Im thinking this means ive been driving around in 4 hi this whole time. When i put the thing in what i think is 4hi (not lock) and put it in gear, the front shaft will sit there and turn while the rear sits still(hubs unlocked) is that normal for 4 hi(not lock). Secondly ive heard that if you drive in 4hi (lock) and hubs unlocked it will "burn up the t-case" Is this true? Thrirdly schould i drive it in 4hi(lock) and hubs unlocked or hubs locked and in 4 hi (not locked). BTW i have 36" tires if that makes a difference.

2. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

mine has driveflanges. Full time 4x4 is supposed to have driveflanges. Drive flanges are stronger than hubs. Put your drive flanges back on :D

3. 78GMCJIMMY

78GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

If I am not mistaken the np203 acts like an open differential.So when you have the hubs unlocked and tcase in 4hi the power will all go to the front and no go(sorta like doin a burnout with an open diff and only one tire spins).I have heard if you drive in 4loc on dry pavement you could possibly FUBAR the tcase. I reccomend either installing a milemarker part-time conversion or installind drive flaNGES. i DRIVE A 78' GMC jimmy fulltime 4x4 np203 as a DD, and i am lookin' to changeover to an np205 or possibly do the doubler when I get the chance> Just my 2cents! Good luck

4. 78Suburban

Well said. I've read on here, I think Grim Reaper, THE 203 guy, said that the part time kits can cause some lubrications issues to the t case, and its best to leave them full time or just get a 205. I'm just waiting untill I can afford a 205, ORD double, and some HAD shafts.. then its ON :D

but yeah, get some drive flanges.

5. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

so im going to be driving the thing on a 120 mile round trip through mountain hills day after tomorrow should i do it with the hubs lock and in 4 hi or in 4 hi lock with the hubs unlocked?

6. 78Suburban

Hubs locked, 4 hi. Should basically be the same thing as driveflanges. Don't drive it in 4hi lock on the pavement. Lock the hubs for now, and get flanges when you get a chance.

7. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

i think thats prolly what im gonna do.

8. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

I think im gonna try runnin it in 4lock with the hubs unlocked. any real world words against this?