Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions About Factory Options

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerGuy, Jun 19, 2000.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

On the sticker that's on the fender, it says that it is a Sequoia Special. What's a Sequoia Special? Also it says that I have a locking diff. What kind of "locker" do I have, I thinks its the Gov-Loc, right? Thanks for your advice.

http://www.blazer.coloradok5.com is now under construction[​IMG]
    YEEEE HAWWWW[​IMG]

2. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Mine says I have a locker too, but I think its really a limited slip. They just called it that for some reason. I may be wrong...

Brian

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, I figured it was a posi rather than a real locker. By the way is there any kind of posi additive I should put in the oil?

http://www.blazer.coloradok5.com is now under construction[​IMG]
    YEEEE HAWWWW[​IMG]

4. Mikee

Mikee 1/2 ton status

No clue about the sequoia package, but the locker is most likely a eaton limited slip made for GM, unless it is a military truck which is then a Lockight LOCKER.

"Got stuck once, hung up on top of a Jeep!"

5. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Only time I've heard of a "Sequoia Edition" was a special edition of the Toyota ForeRunner. Don't know if it's just a sticker someone else thought was cool?

Brian
    89KBlazer

6. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    This is a new one on me, can you offer some prove, on the Lockight LOCKER..............
    Thanks alot

7. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

The posi uses the same fluid as a diff w/o the posi. I think its 80w-90

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

9. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

gm has an additive that must be used when fluid is changed. regular gear oil is ok, but the additve MUST be used.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The factory option limited slip diff was called the "Gov-Lok" by GM, or listed as a locking differential on the option sheet. I really wouldn't consider it a true locker as it definitely not in the same class as the Detroit Locker or Lock-Rite. The Gov-Lok has a reputation for failing and being rather ineffective, though some people have had good luck with them.
    The factory owner's manual states that a limited slip additive should be added to the standard 80w-90 gear oil. The additive contains a friction modifier that is supposed to make the clutches operate smoother and more effectively.
    Concerning the Lock-Rite, I have never heard of them being used in military trucks. The mid-80's GM military pickups had a Detroit Locker installed in the rear 14-bolt axle, and I believe the military Blazers (CUCV's) used the standard Gov-Lok in the rear 12-bolt axle.

11. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Your factory owner's manual is wrong, or my 77,78,and 79 factory owner's manual is wrong !
    I think i have read on the Eaton web site that one of the main reasons GM asked them to design the Gov-lock
    was to eliminate the need for friction modifier . My three list 80w-90, that meet a GM spec. no mention of
    any additive.
    care to explain ?