Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions about first gen Blazers/Jimmys...

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Logan_M, Jun 11, 2001.

1. Logan_M

Logan_M Newbie

I'm interested in buying a 4x4 first generation Blazer/Jimmy. I was wondering what types of things to look for when buying one. I'm not buying one that has been fully restored or anything, but something probably in the $2000-$4000 range. What are the typical problem areas? What are some good places to find out information and aftermarket parts prices on them besides the 67-72 resource page? Any help or information about these Blazers/Jimmys would be very appreciated.

2. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Well i would definetley check out the rockerboxes under the floorboards. These are what help keep the structure rigid when the top is off. Many are almost completely rotted away. The will be a pain to find a replacement pair usually or have to get custom ons fabbed up. Also I would look over the the area of the floor around the tailgate and around the wheelwells, and check out the windshielf frame too. It really all depends on how mechanically inclined you are and how much work you are willing to put into it. HTH's some.

Chris =)
    http:// www.roostr84.coloradok5.com

3. kilomanjaro

kilomanjaro 1/2 ton status

i know a guy who is selling his K5. I think his asking price is right in that range. here are a few details, email me at kilomanjaro63@hotmail.com if you are interested. 72 K5 CST. 350/350 (dirves perfect) tranny and transfer case have just been rebuilt by aamco. factory positraction rear. single wall top. the color is ochre with a white top. brown interior with front buckets, rear bench, rear side panels and a center console. the body is pretty strong too. there is a small amount of rust in the lower quarters and doors. but the rockerboxes, floorpans and windshield frame are rest free. In addiiton there is 500 dollars worth of aluminized exaust. the wheels are rallys with brand new michilins on them. very nice truck. again email me at kilomanjaro63@hotmail.com if you are interested.

4. Leinie

Leinie Registered Member

Hey Logan, I saw your post on the 67-72 chevy page and forgot to tell you to come here , but I see you found it on your own. Your off to a good start!

72 K5 CST X 2

5. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I think that Kilomanjaro covered pretty much all of the possible rust spots. I'd also look at the locking hubs to ensure they work, the ball joints, tie rod ends, drag link ends, and steering box for play, spring perches to ensure all rivets are tight, front axle universal joints, and the brakes.

6. Ryan_B

Ryan_B Registered Member

Check the body mount bushings unless you want to dedicate a weekend to replacing em. Then again you probally will want to replace them on any first gen blazer you find.

Lift up the carpet and check the driver and passanger side floor boards for rust... especially where the floor board meets the rocker panels.

Check out how the doors open and shut... The drivers side door was rusted out on my blazer right where the upper hinge bolts to it... I need to replace that part of the door now.

Check the gas tank and the fuel lines!!! When I bought my blazer, the gas tank had a leak in the top and bottom of it. And the fuel lines were downright scarry!!! The previous owner installed an auxillary gas tank which was taken out before I bought my '72 K/5, but he installed a switch for the two gas tanks and the fuel hoses were routed very close to the exhaust and up over the transfer case and transmission to the switch. Needless to say the hoses heated way up all the time, and when i took them out the cracked and fell apart. Those fuel lines were just waiting to crack and leak and burn the truck to the ground.
    For Gods sake check those fuel lines! You have no idea who did what to the truck before you buy it!

Also engage the truck in 4 wheel high and low. Make sure it works, and that it doesn't make any funny noises. A friend of mine got screwed when he bought a chevy 4X4 but never tested the 4wheel drive before he bought the truck... The front diffrential carrier was craked in half, ruined the ring & pinion, and the Transfer case was pretty f*#@ed up too needing a rebuild.

Check the frame for cracks especially near where the steering box bolts onto the frame!

7. Logan_M

Logan_M Newbie

Well, I'd love to be able to get your friend's K5, but I only have $1500 right now, going to be saving up money to buy one with. Thanks for all the tips and everything, it will help a LOT when I get enough money to begin looking seriously.