Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions about Hydro-Boost

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlackDog714, Nov 17, 2002.

1. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

OK, after the engine swap, whenever I step on the brake pedal, it makes a low hissing sound... How do I get this to go away? It gets REAL irritating at a stop light! Thanks

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Hmm, that sounds more like a vacuum booster problem than a hydrabooster problem. My hydrabooster will make sounds like that when the steering fluid is low but you would feel it in the steering wheel as well.

3. BlackDog714

Yeah, I dont seem to have any problems with the steering. It goes lock to lock with no groans or noises. It only makes noise when my foot is on the brake pedal. It seems as though the noise is right at the firewall where the arm goes to the booster.

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Are you usre its not a vacuum booster. Thats exactly what they do when they start going out and you hear it coming right at that location.

5. BlackDog714

Well I hope not, otherwise I have P/S fluid in my booster for no reason /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif No, really, it is a hydro-boost. I know the difference between the two and I have worked on both... Maybe the hydro-boost sounds the same way on its way out too! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

6. BlackDog714

7. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

Borrego

sorry to jump off subject. when ever you pur on your hydroboost system you had to change all your harg lines right? did you have to redo the calipers also? I have located a complete unit including the PS pump and just trying to figure out everything i need ahead of time.

Also my wife will be contacting you about a shackle flip for my christmas. i'm not supposed to know. she will probably do it under my name. i gave her all the info that you'll need for my 69.

thanks
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif69K5
    nathan

8. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

My hydraboost upgrade was unusually simple. I had found an 80's diesel truck with a hydraboost in the junk yard and grabbed it. I pressed the middle bolts out of the booster mount so there were 6 holes to match my firewall and reused my stock master cylender. I bought one high pressure line and ran it from the booster to my power steering box and took the one that was previously running there from the power steering pump and ran it to my hydrabooster. I then took both low pressure return lines and brought them together with a 'T' union and ran it back to the pump. That was it. I've since converted to 1 ton gear at both ends (4 wheel disk) and it never felt better other than my truck stopping as well as my BMW, but with 38's! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have had zero problems with it. I forget I have it. Every once in a while I'll hit the brakes while turning and feel a slight tug at the wheel but thats it. I'll keep a look out for Santa and try and talk him out of sending you a lump of coal with those brackets for prior knowledge! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

You know, my hydrabooster makes a small hiss/squeek kind of noise when I actuate the brakes and it comes from inside the cab a the lever assmebly. It always has but its not real noticeable unless your looking for it or you have a quiet truck (415ci on true dual exhaust with swamper hum drowns everything on mine). It sounds like the chrome rod sliding accross a series of seals. I wondered if this wasn't the noise you were reffering to.

10. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

thanks /forums/images/graemlins/grin.giffor all the help. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

69K5 /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif
    nathan

11. BlackDog714

Well that sounds like exactly where it is coming from, but it has gotten VERY loud since the engine swap. I just dont get it! It is very irritating /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

12. BlackDog714

Anybody else hear this?