Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions about NP203

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ben B., Dec 16, 2005.

1. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

My new rig has a 203, and i'm lost on the whole concept of HI-LOC, HI, N, LOW, LOW-LOC. Can someone please explain this to me?

The truck currently has manual hubs, and this confuses me too for some reason.

Now if I don't like what you guys tell me about my 203, how hard would swapping a 208 or 205 in be? Would Driveshafts have to be modified?

2. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

If you have manual hubs then someone has more then likely put a part-time kit in the 203 which is a full time 4x4 case. The LOC mods transfer equal power to front and rear which is used when you are on a surface that allows some slip. H and L are just that high and low range which can be used on the pavement because it allows torque to be split between the front and rear.

If there is a part time kit installed in the 203 then the shift pattern is now changed from HI-LOC, HI, NEUTRAL, LO, LO-LOC to 4HI, 2HI, N, 2LO, 4LO.

Here is some good info on a part time kit installed. http://www.off-road.com/chevy/mm-np203/ Give me a shout if you need some help. What trans do you have? I would suggest a 205 swap if you want more strength but for mild wheelin the 203 is just fine. Watch out for chain slack. I removed my 203 from a th350 and just installed a 205 t case adapter and a 205 with a new drive sleeve. Bolted up and got it all for less then a part time kit.

3. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the great reply. I'm running a TH350.