Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions about obtaining more power.

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 4x4dreamer, Sep 13, 2002.

1. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

I understand that getting more power from the diesel is about getting more air. A J code intake is supposed to help some, (I want one bad) and the turbo is a huge help because it crams more air in. What about things like Porting and polishing? Would freeing up the breathing in the head help at all? Has anyone swapped out cams and made a difference. With changes like this, would new injectors have to be used. It's gonna be a while before I can afford the Banks kit, but I think the price on the J code Intake isn't too bad (let me know if you have one). I live at or below sea level so power isn't a huge problem. But I can't leave things stock for too long, I always want to make them better.
    Thanks for your help.
    Eric

2. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

Another thing I'd like to know is if the 6.2 likes open elemnt filters.

I have the STOCK setup and it has a lot of air constricion points.

3. 4x4dreamer

I would also like to know. My intake originally came in behind the radiator or bumper or something, the PO cut it about halfway to the filter, it still works and seems to suck air pretty well. Any input on if that's a bad idea or anything?

4. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave 1/2 ton status

I have a set of ported and polished 6.5T heads on my 6.2. The power increase was marginal at best. The local diesel shop told me that it will make the most difference when I get my turbo installed.

I have 2 different breather set ups. One for on road and one of when I know I'm gonna be in DEEP water and mud. The on road uses the factory breater with a bunch of 1" holes drilled into the sides and bottom of it. The water/mud breather uses a factory breather modified with a second snorkel arm and tubing. I use a K&N filter.

I'm thinking of trying to mate 2 breathers, 1 with the bottom cut out and attached to the top of another, so I can stack 2 filters for more air intake. I think I can make it work but cant say for sure yet.

5. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

In a diesel, it is all about how much air and fuel you can burn. The key is exhaust temps which can kill your engine if you go overboard. Porting and polishing will not help as much as a gas rig because the lower rpms mean head flow rates are lower and less critical. A turbo is the way to get a ton more air in , and then injector pump changes and larger injectors will give you the needed extra fuel. You will, IMHO, need to install a pyrometer on your exhaust manifold to measure exhaust temp. Running above 1400 F will eat holes in the pistons. You are safe to around 1300F. In order to lower exhaust temps, use the largest and straightest exhaust piping available with low back pressure. You can shave 100F off the temp with a good exhaust system. For major power on top of a turbo, get a propane injection system. It is typically just a fogger at your air intake used at a rate of 1 gallon propane to 4 gallons diesel. This will get you 30-40% more hp and torque /forums/images/icons/cool.gif . Just my .02. See ya, JT

6. Txstruck

Txstruck Registered Member

Where in Garland do you live? I live in Seagoville about 20 mins from there. Maybe one day we can go wheelin!

Steve

7. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Hey Steve,
    I am near Beltline and Garland Rd. (North Garland I guess). Yeah , lets meet up at one of these dinners or a wheeling "get together". Your M1008 looks like mine /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif, although I think your body is straighter. Check the Lonestar K5 forum now and again if you are not already doing it. We had a good time at Razoos last week! See ya soon.
    JT

8. 6.2L Jimmy

6.2L Jimmy 1/2 ton status

One really cheap thing to do is to replace the factory cold-air intake (that muffler looking thing) with 4-inch flexpipe
    from the airfilter housing to the cold air intake entrance. I did it and added a K&N and I was amazed with the difference I got, Now it takes off like a gasser...I keep r up with cars now with no problem. Try it,it works. Hope this helps
    Mike

9. Hunden

Hunden Registered Member

Mike you wouldn't happen to have a pic of that setup would you?
    Thanks

10. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Getting more air in and more air out is essential. See my post about intake and exhaust mods in your other thread.

Crane cams offers a re-grind for the diesel cams, but I don't believe it's worth the cost. Diesels don't benefit from cam changes like gassers do.

A high-performance injection pump and injectors can do wonders.

Another trick is to advance your timing. Most 6.2L diesels seem to have timing that is retarded too much. You can tell if anyone has adjusted your timing by looking at the injection pump mounting flange. There will be a scribe mark going across the pump body and the engine block. If it's lined up, then you can advance your timing. Just loosen the three mounting bolts holding the pump in place, rotate the pump towards the driver's side until there is about a 1/8" gap between the lines, and then tighten the bolts back down. Do this with the engine off.

The three nuts are tricky to get to. The top one is okay, but the bottom two are hard to reach. I've found that a couple of different 15mm wrenches can get the job done fairly easily.

Advancing the timing will give you some very noticeable pep.

To find out how to get some serious power out of a n/a diesel, read this article:

http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/avanteng.htm

Casey

11. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

The only problem with using an open element filter is the noise. There are no throttle plates in a diesel to drown out the internal noises of the engine. Run the engine without the air cleaner installed for just a moment, and you'll see what I mean.

Your '83 should have a round 4" hole on the passenger's side of the radiator cowl. Get some 4" hose and run from this hole to the air cleaner assy. Drawing fresh air from outside makes more power than drawing hot, under-hood air.

Casey

12. 4x4dreamer

Now we're talking!! Anybody want to donate a set of 6.5 heads and a Jcode Intake and I'll get rolling. lol.
    Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it.
    keep it coming

13. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just built a 4" PVC pipe system for direct air intake. I noticed a fuel mileage increase and more power. Will email you pics if you would like.

14. 4x4dreamer

PM'd ya.

15. OFFRDK5

PM'ed ya back!!

16. 4x4dreamer

I like your setup, I'm interested in getting one of those dual filter deals...and a J code intake. Eventually I'd like to go turbo, but I like the sound of that NA engine in the article I was sent. I just got my truck and am In the process of making sure it's reliable. What sort of things should I check my engine for?

17. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

18. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave 1/2 ton status

19. OFFRDK5

Everyone who wants to see it goto

http://community.webshots.com/user/offrdk5

And check out the snorkel section!!

What I do with my air filter is every couple of weeks I go out and just rotate it a bit to use the whole filter up. Also, goto the dealer and spend $20 on a new air filter once, to get the pre filter. Saves alot of air filter!!

20. 6.2L Jimmy

6.2L Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I dont have a digital camera but I will try to get you some pics.
    Mike