Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

??? Questions about old school chevys???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hi pinion, Nov 11, 2004.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

When did GM start making 4x4 trucks??? What year did they start?? I am thinking about going back to the 60s trucks, but all i see is old trucks mounted on blazer frames /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Anyone?? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Up until 1960 2wd trucks were converted to 4wd usually by the dealer as an option using a Napco kit. 1960 is when GM actually designed a true 4wd frame. I also see that in 1957 GMC offered a factory 4x4, but again it would have been based on the 2wd chassis.

3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

These must be non-existant, because i havent seen anything out there yet /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Well the old stuff is pretty desirable to collectors, so I am guessing there are not a lot of "project" trucks around anymore. Sure you could find one but would probably cost a small fortune.

5. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

6. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I know of Two trucks like that in my town. One I Just saw the other day on a trip to the boneyard. It was a 62 or 63. looked like a Dana 44 front, but with DRUM brakes. You think the drag link is a weak link on 73-91's, the drag link on this truck could not have been more than 1/2" in diameter. The truck is kind of complete, but most of the little items have been stripped from the cab. Front fender and engine were gone to. It was a 4 speed truck though.

The other truck is a 64 and it sits on a corner residential lot a couple of miles from my house. Complete, looks like it could drive, but I havent seen it move in the last year since I first seen it.

A Shop I deal with in Phoenix is working on a 63 as a restoration/play toy project. He already ditched the drum brake front axle for a disc brake D44 out of a 74 truck.

If one was to actually build one to drive and not be a 100% original show queen, I'd beef up the stock parts. The frames on those trucks were bigger than the 2wd counterparts. The eaton rears are strong, but like I mentioned the front end needs help.

They are out there, but you may have to buy the shell and frame from a boneyard and start from the bottom.

7. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

My GMC is "old school." It had a d44 with drum brakes and closed knuckles originally. It also had a Rockwell T221 transfer case married to the 465. They weren't bad items, I DD'd my truck over a year with them. Sometimes fast stops got a little hairy, but I never got in an accident with it. Then the Rockwell died and parts for it are $$$$. I guess Meritor owns the rights to it now, they make driveline stuff for big trucks. So I tossed it and got a 205. The d44 is giving way for a d60
    old school trucks are cool! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

55 1ton 4x4

I've got a 56 in good shape, wish I could get my hands on this thing

9. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Holy crap that seems like a great deal ! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif $400 and the thing looks pretty complete....wish it was closer /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Jake, I wouldn't buy something too old. You will get into driveability issues and will be stuck without things like power steering, power brakes, drums all the way around. etc. Like we talked last night....find a 3/4 or 1 ton mid to late 70's pickup. I know you are all worried about smog but you have to remember how much different a 70's say blazer is vs. both our 85's. Also on the heavier duty trucks they had less emmissions equipment than 1/2 tons. Our '76 C30 has EGR & PCV. That is NOTHING compared to what you are scared of with our '85s. Also remember that they are a LOT closer to rolling off. '76 ers are exempt in January with '77's on deck ect...

11. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Jake, I wouldn't buy something too old. You will get into driveability issues and will be stuck without things like power steering, power brakes, drums all the way around. etc. Like we talked last night....find a 3/4 or 1 ton mid to late 70's pickup. I know you are all worried about smog but you have to remember how much different a 70's say blazer is vs. both our 85's. Also on the heavier duty trucks they had less emmissions equipment than 1/2 tons. Our '76 C30 has EGR & PCV. That is NOTHING compared to what you are scared of with our '85s. Also remember that they are a LOT closer to rolling off. '76 ers are exempt in January with '77's on deck ect...

[/ QUOTE ] Thats cool, i just dont know what to look for, EXACTLY what to look for. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

Do you like the 71/72 body style? They would/could have power steering/brakes. Disc up front good factory ratios, the 3/4 tons were usually 4.10 or 4.56. 350 engine, SM456 and NP205. Rear factory traction aid - powr-loc in a dana60 or no-spin(detroit) in the eaton(corprate full floater). Not bad options, still some room for improvement.

[​IMG]

13. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

yeah those are badass.i wanted one with 1 ton stuff though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    yeah those are badass.i wanted one with 1 ton stuff though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Swap it in then.

15. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

A dana 60 would bolt in and there were NAPCO conversion then also. To make the rear eaton a 1 ton is as easy has swapping third members and adding 13" drums.

16. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Swap it in then.

[/ QUOTE ] I was thinking along the lines of more of a budget build Tim. I guess first it would be a 1977 79 k30, but i cant find one,or just something old school like that would do just fine for the right price. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I wanted to stay away from expemsive "swaps".....and thats where the k30 would really benifit me , because it has the 60 and 14ff /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Also remember that they are a LOT closer to rolling off. '76 ers are exempt in January with '77's on deck ect...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Um i thought that a bill passed saying that its fixed at '75 now. period. No jumping a year every year.. that means the guys in cali that have been waiting forever for their '76 and '77 trucks to become smog exempt are now fawkt.
    I could be wrong, but i remember reading this on here even.. unless they've changed things in the last few months...?

Hipinion.. A truck is only as good as its running gear.. Get pre smog and do whatever the hell you want.. the year of the body is just to disguise the running gear underneath. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

18. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Also remember that they are a LOT closer to rolling off. '76 ers are exempt in January with '77's on deck ect...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Um i thought that a bill passed saying that its fixed at '75 now. period. No jumping a year every year.. that means the guys in cali that have been waiting forever for their '76 and '77 trucks to become smog exempt are now fawkt.
    I could be wrong, but i remember reading this on here even.. unless they've changed things in the last few months...?

Hipinion.. A truck is only as good as its running gear.. Get pre smog and do whatever the hell you want.. the year of the body is just to disguise the running gear underneath. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Ok you arre fawking right i think. Look at Bobby for example.......25000.00 bucks in a truck........and he cant even drive the thing. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif All because of ca. smog CRAP!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Im not getting caught up in all that, NO WAY,,,,no no no, so its either suffer with a deisel m1008, or a 77 k30 /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I feel ya on the disguise thing /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

77 heavy duty CA had the LEAST amount of smog equipent than any other post 75 truck. I got a 77 k5 with ZERO smog
    equip except a little stove pipe thingy that bolts on to headers(no holes) and goes to air intake. SO go either
    heavy duty 77(gov vehicle best) or 75 or earlier. By the way I was PISSED that all that waiting to be exempt from
    smog WAS A WASTE OF TIME SINCE THEY PASSED THE NEW LAW.

JAKESLIM

20. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

hi pinion the 1st gens in 1971-72 for sure maybe 1970? use same suspension as 2nd. 1971 was the 1st year for open knuckles. they used saginaw ps box 52" rear springs etc. all depends what body style you want? /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif