Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions about paint, stereo, and oil pressure guage. Please help.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NerdBoy, Jun 7, 2004.

1. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

I decided to start fixing the small things on the beast this weekend, and I came up with a few small issues that I'm not too sure about how to fix. Any insight would be appreciated.

1) My paint is starting to bubble a bit, and I think it is getting time for me to start doing bodywork. I like the paint job that the truck has, but I think that it may be time for it to go. *sigh* It is bubbling in about 20 places. I have never been too successful at bodywork, and I am wondering if any of you have any advice for me on how to go about repairing this stuff. I am assuming that the bubbling paint is a sign of rust under it, and I doubt that I will be able to salvage the paint job.

2) My radio was working just fine for the longest time, and suddenly, it lost it's abilty to recieve FM stations. I pulled it out of the dash, and found that the reception is great, as long as the chassis of the radio isn't touching a ground. The problem is there whether the car is running or off, with the key in ignition or accessory, so I don't think it is an alternator problem. Anyone ever have anything like this happen?

Also, I am thinking about removing the speakers from the bass box in the back, and mounting them in side boxes in the back. (15" subs) Any good advice on the layout of the boxes?

3) Last, but not least...
    My oil pressure guage is leaky. I hate the mechanical oil pressure guages, but that is all I can afford, right now. The fitttings at both ends of the tube are leaky. Is there a trick to hooking the fittings up?

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    2) My radio was working just fine for the longest time, and suddenly, it lost it's abilty to recieve FM stations. I pulled it out of the dash, and found that the reception is great, as long as the chassis of the radio isn't touching a ground. The problem is there whether the car is running or off, with the key in ignition or accessory, so I don't think it is an alternator problem. Anyone ever have anything like this happen?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd hazard a guess that the ground on the antenna wire is broken. FM is much more sensitive to antenna style and placement than AM (and could be balanced, or unbalanced, or whatever you call it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif) so this is why you're see issues on FM.

Anyway, I'd check the plugs on both ends (antenna and radio) and if nothing is obvious, replace the cable.

At the least try grounding the braided sheath on both ends.

-- A

3. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

Hrm. Seems I had a broken antenna wire. The best I can guess is that, when grounded, the metal in the dash was acting as a Faraday cage, of sorts. Fixed that....

Now, on to the other issues...

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, I will be sad to see your paint go. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

You forgot #4....get the wing windows tinted. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    3) Last, but not least...
    My oil pressure guage is leaky. I hate the mechanical oil pressure guages, but that is all I can afford, right now. The fitttings at both ends of the tube are leaky. Is there a trick to hooking the fittings up?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it leaking at the fitting going into the block/back of gage? Or is the compession fitting leaking?

Use teflon tape on the fitting that threads into the block and the back of the gage.

When making the compression fitting up, make sure the line is all the way in the fitting. Then push the compression sleeve all the way in and tighten 'er up. Doesn't need to be incredibly tight. You'll know it's tight when the line can't be pulled back out. Biggest thing is to make sure the line is seated all the way in.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Those pipe thread fittings shouldn't need any tape. They should seal without it. Trying some thread sealant probably isn't a bad idea though.

7. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You forgot #4....get the wing windows tinted. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    *grr* /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I'll add that to my list. I have some good ideas for paint, to replace it. Maybe red with blue flames...
    I would have to get something good, no matter what. People around my hometown know my truck by the paint.

[ QUOTE ]
    Is it leaking at the fitting going into the block/back of gage? Or is the compession fitting leaking?

[/ QUOTE ]
    It seems to leak around both. I have a habit, I think, of overtightening the compression fitting, and stripping out the soft brass threads. Is there a way to keep that from happening, and still being confident that it is sealed?

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I hate he nylon tubing they give you with a mechanical gauge and the compression fittings--I've had mine installed properly,only to have the tube pop out of the gauge and piss all over my legs and carpet /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif--so I buy some brass adapters 1/8 pipe to 3/16 brake line tubing,or use 1/8 copper tubing instead of nylon,it seems to work better with the ferrules than nylon tubing,and wont chafe through as easy if something rubs on it.The 3/16 steel tubing gives faster response to oil pressure loss than the 1/8 inch stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    As for the bubbling paint-- be prepared to see lots of HOLES when you take off the bubbly paint---I just did this to my stepside pickup's rear fenders around the gas tank doors,they looked like they had been bondo'd some,but when I ground it down ,I was like Oh my god--I just made a LOT of work for myself! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif