Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

questions about prerunnered sfa's....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dezert_patriot_001, Jun 20, 2004.

1. dezert_patriot_001

dezert_patriot_001 Newbie

questions about prerunnered sfa\'s....

im new to this forum and im tryin to get some ideas. i talked to alcan and im gonna have them build me a set of custom springs but im not sure what i have to do with the steering. i want to get about 13 inches of travel and reatain the stock axle location so how would i go about doing this? thank you for your time.
    preston

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: questions about prerunnered sfa\'s....

Coilovers is how you would go about doing that. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. dezert_patriot_001

i looked into that but its gonna be driven quite a bit so i dont really wanna go with coilovers but then again theres always that chance.

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Just run the 52's and redrill the centeringpin so your axle stays in the stock location. You can pull around 16" travel with the 52's. I run them in my blazer and do a lot of dezert stuff at the 52's combined with 14" travel 2.5" Dia. SAW race runners work great.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Make sure you've got good bumpstops. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. dezert_patriot_001

how do i go about runnin the 52's where do i get the springs and all? i know where to get the shocks.

7. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If you don't mind me asking, but how much are they charging you for your springs?

8. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    how do i go about runnin the 52's where do i get the springs and all? i know where to get the shocks.

[/ QUOTE ]

52's are stock rear Blazer springs /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

wow 13 doesn't sound like much but most people here are 4x4 and they measure wheel travel while the truck is flexing. One wheel of the axle would be shoved al lthe way into the fender and the other hanging free. It easy to see those sort of numbers like that.

THe way your going to measure wheel travel is lift front end and let it hang. and hten measure. I think it can be done but need a few things right off the batt.

Well Cross over steering is a given.

Probably need a LONG track bar as well.
    LONG travel drive shaft for sure. The angles a front drive shaft operate in these trucks the stock sure isn't going to cut it. In addition to that your going to have to be VERY carefull to keep the splines clean. That sudden loading if the shaft bince it could knock the transfer case off the back of the tranny.

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You need to crawl under your rig and take a look at all the stuff that's above your axle. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif You can't get more than a few inches of upwards travel with the stock axle location before ugly things start to happen. The first nasty is that the pumpkin hits the starter and snaps it off. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Then the axle tubes hit the frame rails. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif To get some serious travel, you're gonna have to lift the truck. It doesn't seem like having 10 inches of down travel combined with 3 inches up of travel is going to make a very good prerunner suspension.

11. dezert_patriot_001

i think it waas like 215 each spring.

12. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Im running the bumpstops in the stock location, but dropped down 2" with a big ass 4" urethane stop, I also left all of the stock bumpstops for the springs, they came in handy when I ripped my dropped down bumpstops off the frame, they stopped my truck from getting mutilated. Im also running a stock shaft that has been lengthened, with stock length splines and a ground down stock CV. I do need a better shaft but it works fine if your on a budget. Oh and make sure you have good shocks and limiting straps. Crossover is a must but you dont need a tracbar, just get used to the steering wheel going crazy, and Grim im pulling 16" Vertical, not articulated, I dont know how much I can pull articulated.