Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

questions about Quadrasteer and bigger tires

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by VisionxOrb, Dec 21, 2003.

1. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

Ok, My parents decided to hold off on getting the dodge which gives me more time to "work my magic" and convince them to get a GMC ( like the front more the 03-04 chevy )
    anyway I noticed now that the quad steer is only 2000 more instead of 8000 when if first came out so this I would make them get ( if youve ever driving a truck with it you know you cant live with out it ) anyway I think the trucks look kinda strang stock and like to level it out first of all. so what is the best ( cheaped with out just cranking the bars) to do that, than I probably just put 2 inch body lift to put 33s on. but my main question is about putting on larger tires with the rear steer. anyone have a link for info or know what size you can go to with X backspacing n such. thanks in advance for any help.

Also this wouldnt be for 4 wheeling except maybe camping tips (ie pismo ) and trips to the snow

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

there's a company out there that makes a special part to fix the "lower front than rear" syndrome of the new GM trucks. Forgot where, but I know they exist.

In terms of the quadrasteer, I dont know what the tolerances are, but it acutally looked like there was enough room there for a 33" tire, without rubbing. The width is going to be your biggest issue, if you do go 33's, try and stick to a 10.5" width.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the part you are speaking of is a leveling kit that uses torsion bar keys. The new keys turn the torsion bars for better height but not increased spring rated like you would get just tightening the bolt. www.hill4wd.com sells the setup i know.

4. 84K5BD

84K5BD 1/2 ton status

insted of paying a 100.00 bucks or whatever hill charges just go to the dealership and order a set of the green keys for 40.00 and you will get the same thing.

5. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I know in testing the quadrasteer trucks GM lifted the trucks and took them off roading, thats why I assume they run D-60's in the rear rather than 10 bolts. SO I would assume its OK to run 33's on em.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I remember seeing that somewhere, they did it to test the durability didn't they? Its definetally not gonna be a hardcore setup, in the mud try and use that quadrasteer, crack the throttle get some tire spin and they will point forward again and its gone.

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I dont see why it wouldnt hold up to bigger tires.

8. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

Well it holding up to big tires im not concerned about, What im trying to figure out is the tire size/rim backspacing combinations i need so the tires dont rub when it turns.

9. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

id say about an inch less backspacing would be the way to go to avoid too much clearance problems..