Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions about Rebuild of a 6.2

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by TK5, Aug 20, 2004.

1. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

Ok, I about ready to start rebuilding my 6.2 and I would like to ask questions and get some opinions about the rebuild.

I have the engine totally apart and clean. I have a new crankshaft, main bearings, rod bearings, and oil pump. Heads have been rebuilt and ready to go on. The cam has some wear but is in pretty good condition and the lifters are also in good shape. I plan to keep the vehicle for a long time.

1. Should I go with Gear drive or go back to chain on timing?

2. I plan to do the dual thermostat and water pump for cooling.

3. I have the cucv intake manifold and plan to port match?

4. Is there anything else along the way that I can do improve my performance beside the injectors and Ipump?

5. I already have 3 inch exhaust into flowmaster 70 series from the manifold to tip.

Thanks in advance

Phillip TK5
    Fairview, Tennessee

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

no expert by any means, but...

Gear drive will be more reliable in the long haul- Makes it more reliable, and also timing will remain consistant for a long time.

If your rebuilding it already, consider going to a lower compression so that you can turbo more later.

Port matching is always good. Consider also blue printing everything if you already have it apart. While higher revs dont help your 6.2, if you turbo it in the future, you can squeeze more power out til redline.

3. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

Make sure you balance the rotating assembly.