Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions about regearing and 1/2 to 3/4 ton

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MOBK5, Mar 10, 2006.

1. MOBK5

MOBK5 1/2 ton status

Im picking up a 14bff tomorrow and I dont know the gearing as of yet. Its out of a 70's model lwb and Im just guessing 4:10 gears. Im not going to be able to pick up a matching front due to it being 2wd, but my 10bolt is fine for now.

All I need to know is the carrier break for 10 bolts, and when i get my 8 lug conversion for my 10bolt if I need the 3/4 ton calipers to go with the 8 lug disks. Ive heard the spindles are the same, and all I need is the disks and hubs. Please help me out guys.

Thanks, John Miller

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I don't now the 10 bolt carrier breaks but if I remember correctly there is a total of 4. you're right - the 10 bolt spindles are all the same, you'll just need the bearing hubs, rotors and caliper brackets. Your original calipers should work.

Edit: Walter (Slamchops) just got a D60 so he should have a 3/4 ton front end he'll be getting rid of.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

its either gonna be series III or series IV

the break between III and IV is 3.40 or 3.42

series II would be 2.56, 2.41, 2.28 etc, but those were mainly only in the cars, cept for a few trucks that had 2.56, but rare, ive only come across one ever so far, was a 2wd bonanza big 10, '77-80 year one, was 2.56 ratio listed on the RPO sticker

but that ratio wasnt a 4x4 ratio, afaik

randysringandpinion.com used to list the carrier breaks for alot of axle models,
    or at least i know they used to,
    before the revamped the site a year or two ago or so,
    its been a while for me

good luck

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the carrier break for the 10 bolt is 2.56 and down and 2.73 and up. preaty much, you shouldn't need to change carriers.

1/2 and 3/4 calipers are the same if the 3/4 ton had 11" brakes, the 3/4 ton have a larger piston with the 13" rear brakes. they will swap no problem.