Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions about repainting 1990 peeler

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shum1, Oct 10, 2000.

1. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

I'm in the process of scraping off the peeling paint on my 1990 suburban. Why did all these peel like this? What is the problem? The primer underneath is intact, do I need to go down to bare metal? Only the roof is affected, the sides are great, can I avoid taking the good paint off before repainting. What prep work should I do to the primer on the roof? I heard that GM recalled these for this problem, I assume this is too old for any help from GM. Thanks

2. 91KJIMMY

91KJIMMY Registered Member

For the roof and any other parts that are badly damaged by age I would recommend just sanding the old paint till you get a good clean surface ,doesn't have to be down to bare metal just get rid of all the primer that is lifting. Then spray it with a good primer filler. If the rest of the paint is in good condition you can just use a paint prep solvent and remove all old wax and grime, then scuff or wet sand the rest of the truck down. You should have the whole truck sprayed with a primer sealer before you put on the paint.

P.S Always use prep solvent or atleast a tac rag before you spray primer or paint on any part of the truck.

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I think they had a new kind of primer in 90 and 91 that had problems with it and it made the paint peel. They repainted them for about 5 years afterwards

90K5

4. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

If the primer was faulty does this mean I sould remove it even if it is not peeling? Will the new urethane stick to it?

5. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

When i worked for a body shop back in the early 90's we would take all the peelers down to the bare metal. The problem was with the primer and the shop i worked for was not willing to paint over the defective product! Why do the job twice? The other problem i found was when i masked the area that i was going to paint the tape when removed would some times lift more paint off in the areas that wern't already peeling.

Goodluck

Bigmeats

Carl...75 Blazer...Manhattan IL