Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions about schools

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84 K5 4x4, Jan 28, 2007.

1. 84 K5 4x4

84 K5 4x4 1/2 ton status

I am currently in the USMC and about to get out in a couple of months and i am married. My options are go to work or some kind of Tech school like UTI or NADC (nashville auto diesel college). I can go to work with the company my dad works for for about $18.00 an hour. My question is school really worth it? I do want to make a career working with diesels or somthing like that but i am torn.:confused:

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Diesel school all the way. That's what I would do if I could do it all again. Well, no I'd finish my mechanical engineering degree. But that's a differnent topic alltogether.

3. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

What kind of work would you be doing with dad?

I'd do diesel tech school.. you can take that education anywhere.. look down the road.. when you are older with more to lose, can you rebound nicely if the job with dad evaporates? what leaves you in a better position when things go wrong?

Tom

4. 84 K5 4x4

84 K5 4x4 1/2 ton status

I will be working on/with drill rigs for foundation construction.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

sounds like ****ty work really. Nice and dirty, muddy, oily. Not to say heavy truck work doesn't get similar a lot. I hate diesels myself and am very happy I went the car route. Everyone said I should work on trucks and so on and so on, I'm happy with my choice. But if it is what you want to do, go to the diesel school. If they have a business course, take it. ANything you can do to set yourself up for management or something like that in the future is a good idea. No one can turn wrenches forever.

6. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I'd say go to school. Many companies have a "ceiling" that you can't go above unless you have a degree no matter how long you've been there. Even if you just get a basic business degree at least you have one. You don't have to necessarily do what your degree is in, just having one is worth it. I graduated w/ a 4 year degree in Aviation with all of my pilot training and now I sell custom medical equipment. I got out and went into aviation but the money here in the medical field was so good I made the switch. Good luck in your choice.

7. 84 K5 4x4

84 K5 4x4 1/2 ton status

The school sounds good in all but I really dont want to just go to school. I want to work 40 hours a week and then go to school on the side. Because of various resons but I'm gonna try to see what is offered at the local schools. Thanks for the Imput and keep it coming always open for suggestions.

Jimmy

350/465/205/14ff detriot 10b open