Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions about split rims and tires...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by divorced, Feb 8, 2006.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Can I use a radial tubeless tire on a split rim with a tube?

Does the tire used on a split rim have to be rated "tube type tire" or "for split rim use"?

Below is pics of what I have. They are tube type split rims with 7.50-16LT tires.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Tubes are generally used with splits.

However, some Michelin XL military tires I looked at came with a thin wedge-shaped PVC ring that's intended to provide the seal when used in tubeless fashion on a split-rim.

3. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

I know this doesnt answer your question but have you considered newer wheels ? I know you can pick up the stock steel dually wheels pretty cheap now. Not trying to come across as a smart ass just throwing out a different approach.

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

You could also run a radial tire that's meant for tubes... like a Bridgestone VSX in a 7.50x16 load-range G ;)

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I'm thinking that new wheels will probably be the final answer, I'm just exploring options first. 2 of the rear tires are brand new, and I like how agressive they are, so I may just buy 2 more like them for the rear. The only bad part is using bias plies on the front axle.

Yikes! The ones I found are big $$$ :doah:

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I know around here, tire shops will NOT touch a split rim anymore cause they are considered dangerous.

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I can do the dismount/mount by myself, and put the tires on the rear before airing them so the rings can't get me if they come off. Or, we have a local tire shop with the appropriate "cage" used for airing the split rims and he will let me use it for free. The shop does split rims every day on farm tractors and semi truck trailers. It would be nice to have newer rims though...

8. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Mmm split rims... 42" tires, 135 PSI. Those are fun to put together and air up, especially when the guy airing them forgets about the tire in the cage and it has about 180 PSI in it :o

9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I'm guessing you speak from experience? It's always great when the guys at the shop "forget" and put about 80 PSI in a passenger tire.

10. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

first not split rim. just split rings. any truck shop will know how to do them safely.

next. radial can be used on old rims. can put tube in any tire tube type or newer radial . then you must make sure the tube is for the tire it will be in. you are not to put bias tube in radial tire. bad.... can put radial tube in bias tho.??? dont know why but it o.k. to do.

and if those havent been off in a long time good luck. water gets in the rim and flat section on the rim. then big rust happens. real fun to get them off. and if real bad need new rim any way.

11. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

So, there are radial tubes and then bias tubes?

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

yep--they are different!..

Radial tire tubes are much heavier and thicker rubber, than those for bias ply tires..they can be used in bias ply tires,but dont use bias ply tubes in radials,they pop !....I don't know why they dont just eliminate bias ply tues altogether..:dunno: ...

13. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

The TA truck center I used to work at in SA would refuse to do them...and it's a semi truck shop. It's getting harder to find places to do split rims (and they are frequently called split rims in the tech world) because of the liability factor.

BTW, DO NOT AIR THEM UP IF THE GET VERY LOW ON AIR!!!! The ring can unseat and cock in the rim and as the pressure builds, will blow the ring off and it can KILL you.