Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions about Swampers TrXus STS - All Terrain

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by westn11, Jan 9, 2004.

1. westn11

westn11 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm getting ready to put the 14ff&Dana 60 in my Blazer. When I do, it will be time to get new rims and tires. Here is what I'm thinking of doing. I will be driving a lot during the week. Not a daily driver but very close to it. Basically I have two vehicles and I switch between them. I was thinking of getting the TrXus - All Terrains for daily driving (decent amount of beach and snow trips) and a different set of "Real" swampers for playing in the mud and stuff. I guess my question is: does anybody have any of these and what are your opinions (wear mileage, wet weather handling, etc.)? In case anybody hasnt seen the tires they are at the bottom of this page.

http://www.intercotire.com/html/trxus_mt___sts.htm

thanks
    -Nigel

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Good to have you a member, It's nice to see a guy go orange right away because it's worth it. Welcome! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I can't give you direct advise on these tires really because I have never owned or even ridden on them but can relay what i've heard.
    I have heard the new STS is good in the sand and good (for a swamper) on the street. I honestly think they are goofy looking and ugly though. The trxus is a good tire and compares the the BFG mud terrains just with less mileage capability.
    If I were you I would drive your other vehicle 1 or 2 days more a week and run any of the Interco tires. People make a big deal about the bias ply swampers wearing very fast, which they do but... I have boggers and am getting very good wear that is making my new truck IFS buddies jealous /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif and 4x4 garage(cool mag. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) said "believe it or not but we got nearly 20,000 miles out of our boggers" in their tire comparison. Probably your best option (if tire wear and driveability is a huge concern) would be to save your money and only buy one set of tires which I would choose either SSR's or TSL radials. Both those are good on the road, especially the SSR, and good offroad. They are good tires with a happy medium for a lot of folks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Im running the TrXus MT's and so far I like them on my Daily Driver. They're pretty quiet. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Marv Springer is running them on his funbuggy. Says they are awsome in sand. I have sold a couple of sets at my shop. They seem to be round (a big deal with interco) and balance with little weight. I have heard they ride similar to a large MTR or BFG MT. I don't know how they wear just yet.

5. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I am running the 38x15.50x15 radials on my Buggy [​IMG]
    Pros:
    wayyy quiet for a Swamper
    Ok in sand (would prolly be better for a heavier rig)
    I think they look cool

Cons:
    they are not holding up in the rocks! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif The tread is chunking out BAD.... with prolly 10 runs on them.
    sidewalls are too stiff in sand for a 3000 lb rig

Being an Interco product - I thought they would be really tuff in the rocks and hold up to lots of abuse - even if traction was questionable due to the tight tread. But I am dissapointed..... I would not buy them again.

Marv

6. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

I've got a set of 38.5x15.5x16.5 radials. Offroad they suck.They don't get any traction on wet grass, just ask nvrenuf.They ride real smooth on the road. I don't know how long they will last because I took them off . They are just too small for 5.13 gears.

7. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    I've got a set of 38.5x15.5x16.5 radials. Offroad they suck.They don't get any traction on wet grass, just ask nvrenuf.They ride real smooth on the road. I don't know how long they will last because I took them off . They are just too small for 5.13 gears.

[/ QUOTE ] Are you talking about the TSL radials? STS? trxus? And 5.13's are perfect for 38's. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif But I see you have a 465 so maybe that is a little on the low side. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

I have the TrXus STS radials. With the 465 & 454 the engine would sound like it was gettin ready to blow up on the interstate so I switched to 39.5 tsl's and am happy with the performance.

9. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    I have the TrXus STS radials. With the 465 & 454 the engine would sound like it was gettin ready to blow up on the interstate so I switched to 39.5 tsl's and am happy with the performance.

[/ QUOTE ]
    oh /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif